Need Tire Recommendations

99svt4me

Dec 26, 2004
The tires on my 99 Cobra are shot and I could use some help choosing new ones. I was able to squeeze almost 3 years out of my Goodyear ZR45's, but I am looking for something new. My Eagles kicked ass in the sun and weren't too bad in the rain, but I would be willing to give up some of that dry traction for improved wet weather traction - especially in winter weather. I also wouldn't mind something that likes a little less air pressure so I can get a softer ride.

The tire guy recommended sSumitomo HTR+'s, claiming they are cheaper and better than the Eagles. I thought Sumo's were for the Tuner guys. Can these tires actually run, or do they just look cool? Has anyone tried them on a 'Stang?

What about BF Goodrich? Weren't Comp T/A's the original tires on the 99 Cobra? I heard that Comp T/A's were discontinued and replaced with Traction T/A's. Is that correct? Anyone tried them?

Thanks for your help!

-Dave

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like we are looking for the same things from our tires. I am looking at some toyo t1's. Different sizes, probably though. 265, and 295 35 18's, are around $860 shipped, not too bad I thought. That would be my vote. Good luck, chris

I've got an '01 and ran Michelin Pilots for a while. They hold the pavement pretty well, but I only put them on because the Goodyears I wanted (Eagle F1's) were out of stock with no estimated time they would be in. Had a slight rear end issue that I didn't realize until I had worn those on the outside edges. Now running on BF Goodrich Comp T/A's and they seem fine, but haven't put many miles on them as I park my car for the winter. No idea how either of those would handle lower pressures, though. I can tell you that I've heard and read some good things about the Nitto's one other reply mentioned.

i replaced my stock BFG's on my 01 cobra with these:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...=false&cs=245&pc=28782&rd=17&vid=007303&ar=45

and let me tell you, i have never driven in snow, but this weekend it snowed for the first time in 100 years here in South Texas and i was at work when it happened

i had to drive home on ice/snow covered roads and i never had any control issues. it was really not bad at all and i made it home with minmal traction issues

they hold up well during the rain too

i will definetly use these again

oh and btw ive owned 3 mustangs over a span of 8 years and i have tried many tires, these are up there with the best ive tried

Went with the BFG's

I decided to go with the Goodrich KDWS.

I really like them so far. They are not nearly as noisy as I thought they would be and the ride is pretty good.

I haven't had a chance to play in the rain yet, but I have a feeling that I will be pleased. I had no idea how little tread was left on those old Goodyears 'til I bought new tires!

Thanks for everyone's input. I will post again once I spend some more time with the BFG's.