Need your opinion help keep the AOD or go to a T5

Keep the AOD stage 2 shift kit or go to built T-5

• Total voters

88lxmuscle

May 30, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I currently have a stage two shift kit AOD tranny in my fox. It does move well shifts good and such and I have bought 4.10 gears ford racing. But I feel incomplete with out a T5 LOL. I know with the gears and stuff I can make this AOD sing on drags. But what you guys think should I keep my built AOD and put 4.10 in or get a T-5 and put the 4.10 in hahaa anyone know what I would be reving at on hwy over 60 mph with 4.10 in a T-5 and AOD.

So what you guys think???

• Sponsors (?)

Built T5 with 4.10s. Automatics tend to be more consistent but i give the most respect to people who go fast and shift their own gears. There's more of a connection between the driver and the car. The only way i'd even consider an automatic is if i was trying to race for money when consistency is really important. Otherwise it's more of a challenge for me to be a better driver to get that same consistency shifting it myself and the rewards for me are greater.

i dont know... ive always been partial to the t5 but tci make a pretty nasty kit for the aod... supposedly handles some nasty power... lol to hell with it all go with the tko500 and call it a good day.

I run 4.10 posi and cruise at about 2600-2700 RPMs at 70 MPH on the highway, also will depend on tire size and you will need to change the speedo gear. If you are thinking of running the 4.10 gears no matter what tranny you go with put them in now and see how you like it with the AOD. I like mine as a daily driver for 40 miles a day.

Ya well I get the whole t-5 and become one with the car I love stick. You feel one with the car and ya got to work at it to become good. I prob will put the 4.10 in this summer with AOD and see how it is. I got custom gauges in so will I still have to change the speedo with 4.10 ???. How much does it cost to do a swap to T-5 built with cobra clutch and everything needed with a hurst short shifter???.

It goes in the transmission on the end of the speed sensor and most all of the resto catalogs have them, anytime you change the rear end gear ratio if you dont change it your speedometer will be incorrect.

I say upgrade the transmission if you are going to remove it and do the conversion. The T-5 is fine for street driving (not racing), but it can't handle that much abuse before having issues of some kind. If you get a tko 500/600 you won't have to worry as much about it and won't have to do the job twice.

I am biased, I don't believe in automatic transmissions... no fun. It just doesn't feel like you're driving the car, like a passenger giving directions.

I have a 92 gt with an aod and it has a shift kit, 2200 stall and 4:10s. It does chirp tires from the 1-2 shift (pretty cool for an aod car) and with a couple of engine bolt ons it went 13.4 @ 101.

I say upgrade the transmission if you are going to remove it and do the conversion. The T-5 is fine for street driving (not racing), but it can't handle that much abuse before having issues of some kind. If you get a tko 500/600 you won't have to worry as much about it and won't have to do the job twice.

I am biased, I don't believe in automatic transmissions... no fun. It just doesn't feel like you're driving the car, like a passenger giving directions.

Im sorry but I dont know much about the TKO 500/600 what is this transmission is this the one out of the cobra or what???. I would be taking it to the drags sometimes in summer.

TTC: TREMEC Transmissions

Welcome to D&D Performance - The 5 & 6 Speed Experts!

The tko-500 and tko-600 are rated at 500 and 600 ft*lb of torque, respectively.

I would go with the 600 for the added strength and gear ratios, more streetable and easier to race. If you have 3.73-4.10 gears, the first gear will be a little shorter than stock, but the rest of the gears will be shorter, keeping you in the powerband.

You will need a new clutch, should need a new bell, new crossmember (slide it all the way back and weld to install, driveshaft input shaft, and you only need a shifter handle, the base comes with it. Obviously you need to do the standard t-5 conversion stuff as well. When I bought the tko-600 it was $1600, more now.

Also, you will probably get better fuel mileage and rwhp than an automatic.

I voted for a built T5, but just to let you know, my HCI Procharged 95 GT made MANY passes and street races with a stock T5 and a Centerforce Dual Fritction clutch without any problems. Car made 13lbs of boost too.