Never thought I'd ask about this...

Cartime

May 13, 2010
Can't believe I'm even thinking about this, but here's my question.

I've always liked manual gearboxes and clutches. My current car is a black 2006 v6 5sp. At the age of 41 I'm now dealing with kidney stones from time to time and other issues where I need my wife to be able to drive (sometimes). She can't and doesn't want to learn to drive a stick.

So. What is a really, really ballpark figure for swapping my 5sp to an auto?

Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Can't believe I'm even thinking about this, but here's my question.

I've always liked manual gearboxes and clutches. My current car is a black 2006 v6 5sp. At the age of 41 I'm now dealing with kidney stones from time to time and other issues where I need my wife to be able to drive (sometimes). She can't and doesn't want to learn to drive a stick.

So. What is a really, really ballpark figure for swapping my 5sp to an auto?

Thanks,
Dan

obviously it's easier to swap the other way, but you'll need a trans, the flexplate, the ecm, pedals and maybe another part or two. The driveshafts are the same IIRC, you'll need a shifter obviously but I think that's about it.

depending on labor the whole thing should be a couple grand-ish. That's finding a used trans for about a grand and sourcing some of the other parts used.

It is going to be a pain. You may want to look into a 2011 V6 auto. The money you would spend to convert yours could be used as a good down payment. True it's another monthly payment but you consider that you'll get 305HP and 31mpg with the auto trans vrs driving yours that been molested into a conversion. My $0.02 :shrug:

Cheaper to trade. I have been there and made the switch (by trading) to an automatic. I have had kidney stones, spent 13 days in the hospital with one. I also have arthritis.