New Best ET/MPH

• Sponsors (?)

I think there is something about the 5th pass...I bent a pushrod and pulled the 7/16 stud right out of the head on my 5th pass last year at the track.

You realize that if you had a carb:shrug: or carb intake :shrug: you would not have to worry about a upper intake:D:rlaugh:. Just saying:canada:

Great times by the way:nice:! That chassis is really flexing in your last videos, I can’t imagine it getting any better with these time. Your running numbers that I am dreaming of running with my car, my goal is 10's with a NA 331 stick car.

Scott

yeah I was seriously hoping to avoid that, carefully tightening each one a little bit using a torque wrench everytime. Must have just had it off too many times, and I wonder if running a spacer helps with the breakage? I hope it can be repaired...

myne broke in one piece so it was easy enough to weld back in, but since it has to be tigged and its all wierd angles, it was like 100 bucks to have myne done, and that was with him resurfacing the mating surface. It sucks but thats life when you own a mustang. How are you tightening them? do you do the two center bolts then work your way out? If not, that could be part of the problem.

myne broke in one piece so it was easy enough to weld back in, but since it has to be tigged and its all wierd angles, it was like 100 bucks to have myne done, and that was with him resurfacing the mating surface. It sucks but thats life when you own a mustang. How are you tightening them? do you do the two center bolts then work your way out? If not, that could be part of the problem.

yep centers first, open wrench, then checked with torque wrench. Must have just had it off too many times I guess. Hope it doesn't cost too much. :(

you should give edelbrock a call and see if they will do anything, it shouldnt have broke if you did that every time.

good idea so I did, but I was politely told I'm outta luck. So I'll have tyo find someone local to fix it.

Ripped my head off, surprisingly it all looks good, no visible damage, haven't had it checked for straighteness yet. Weird how the gasket blew, all the arp bolts were torqued. Just gasket failure under boost I guess.

HPIM2821.jpg

No that gasket is blown from severe detonation. Could the possible root case be a cracked intake causing lean condition to this cylinder? How does a super charged cracked intake cause a lean condition? When fuel is fed to that cylinder by the injector in that port, at the same point the intake cracks causing boost to escape thru the crack causing reversion of the charge in that port that starts to carry fuel the other direction creating a lean condition. Just a thought.

Scott

I could see that but everything looked secure when I unbolted the intake and it's just an ear, so I doubt that it caused a leak. It was probably from me lifting off the intake at a weird angle because the ear in question uses a stud not a bolt. There are no signs whatsoever of any type of head damage. Interesting point though.

I could see that but everything looked secure when I unbolted the intake and it's just an ear, so I doubt that it caused a leak. It was probably from me lifting off the intake at a weird angle because the ear in question uses a stud not a bolt. There are no signs whatsoever of any type of head damage. Interesting point though.

So whats the plan? MLS head gaskets, studs etc?

Don't plan on running a MLS gasket unless you have your block re-surfaced. They don't take well to a rough or uneven mating surface.

this is true, MLS gaskets require a surface of 50 RA or better to seal right. I used them on my motor without resurfacing it, but that was only because i had other issues with the way my block was o-ringed and the MLS gaskets were my last shot before i went and pulled the motor and had it decked. Luckily the gaskets did the trick.

I think for you MLS gaskets would be a terrible idea, since you had a ton of passes on the car there is obviously some reason you blew the gasket, if you put the MLS gaskets on there and this happens again say 10 passes down the road its not going to be an easy fix, your gonna burn up a piston. You gotta thing of the head gasket like a fuse, I'd rather blow a gasket then burn up a piston.

What was the temperature difference when you dynoed the car and when you blew it up? The air can really mess with the air/fuel ratios and i remember reading about a few guys with lightnings who had thier trucks tuned in the summer, hammer on it for months with no problems, then in the fall when its 50 degrees at night time they hammer on it, it detonates and kicks a rod out of the motor

Also i dont think the cracked intake had anything to do with this problem, if anything it would have caused a vacuum leak

this is true, MLS gaskets require a surface of 50 RA or better to seal right. I used them on my motor without resurfacing it, but that was only because i had other issues with the way my block was o-ringed and the MLS gaskets were my last shot before i went and pulled the motor and had it decked. Luckily the gaskets did the trick.

I think for you MLS gaskets would be a terrible idea, since you had a ton of passes on the car there is obviously some reason you blew the gasket, if you put the MLS gaskets on there and this happens again say 10 passes down the road its not going to be an easy fix, your gonna burn up a piston. You gotta thing of the head gasket like a fuse, I'd rather blow a gasket then burn up a piston.

What was the temperature difference when you dynoed the car and when you blew it up? The air can really mess with the air/fuel ratios and i remember reading about a few guys with lightnings who had thier trucks tuned in the summer, hammer on it for months with no problems, then in the fall when its 50 degrees at night time they hammer on it, it detonates and kicks a rod out of the motor

Also i dont think the cracked intake had anything to do with this problem, if anything it would have caused a vacuum leak

Hmm didnt know that. Dont see why they wouldnt seal though, i thought that was the purpose of a multi layer gasket

The purpose of a MLS gasket is to seal really well, but they require a much better prep in order to do so. Most machine shops want to know ahead of time if you plan to run a MLS gasket, because the "usual" finish they deck a set of heads with isn't good enough.