Engine New bigger throttle body

• Sponsors (?)

Excessive oil in throttle body (to me) would be blow by pressurizing the tube from oil filler to throttle body. With engine running and warmed up, open oil filler cap. Is vapor or air blowing out?

Reactions: 1 user
Code 66 is gone. It has not showed back up the last few times I pulled codes.
I plugged the hose fitting on the filler neck and it did build up some pressure. I have since then tie wrapped a price of cloth over it and it has not gotten oiled.
Pcv was replaced with the new heads and intake. I pulled the pcv and it’s hoses off to check for excessive oil and there was none.
As far as excessive blow by, there was no oil on the previous throttle blade or laying in the explorer intake.
I am petty sure that the small cone air filter was able to handle the airflow of the explorer heads and intake but can’t handle the new afr heads and performer intake and 70mm throttle body.
The existing air filter is a cone type that’s 4 1/2 inch round at the base and 3 1/2 at the top. It is 4 1/2 inch tall. It came with the sve cold air kit.

I am petty sure that the small cone air filter was able to handle the airflow of the explorer heads and intake but can’t handle the new afr heads and performer intake and 70mm throttle body.
Don't forget, a 302 cubic inch motor will only pull 525 cfm at 6000 rpm. It doesn't matter what heads, intake or throttle body, it can not pull more than that (it is just math). It can pull less if there are restrictions or rpm will be limited with restrictions. By upgrading to larger units you can't put more than that into the engine (without a blower of some kind).

Saying that I think the filter you gave the dimensions of should work fine from an airflow standpoint.

Having massive MAF's and TB's that can flow 1000-1200+ cfm on a 302 motor are just overkill that will likely hurt performance (unless you are spinning the motor to 10,000 rpm).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user