New From California!

May 16, 2017
Hey guys and gals. New to the Mustang world. I just traded my daily driven 2007 Crown Vic P71 for a 2002 Mustang GT Convertible with 140k miles. I love the car, definitely a lot different car to drive then the P71 and my 2011 F150 Ecoboost. It has some hiccups (trying to figure out a cylinder 2 misfire code at the moment). But overall it's a very clean car for being 15 years old. Crossing my fingers that it's not something internal, only thing I have left to check out is the injector, looks to have a cheap non OEM replacement and funky connector spliced in.

Anyways, hope to learn and meet some awesome Mustang owners.

Attachments

• 20170513_185247.jpg
    20170513_185247.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Sponsors (?)

I had a misfire or stubble when driving my 1996 Ford Mustang GT and after dignoses I found that I had three faulty fuel injectors and my spark plugs needed to be changed. I installed new Motorcraft spark plugs,cleaned out the cylinders,and replaced all eight fuel injectors and that fixed my problem with my car good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the kind welcomes guys! I changed all my spark plugs, the mismatched injector, fuel filter and threw a 180° thermostat in it.

Misfire seems to have disappeared. Now I'm battling the trans temp staying at about 215°. The thermostat didn't seem to help anything either. Temp still fluctuates between 204° to 210°.

The fun of buying a used car lol.

You can install a engine oil cooler on your Mustang and it is well worth it as it will lower your engine temperature overall and prolong the life of your engine. Also doing your oil changes on time every time and completely flushing and refilling your cooling system will help. You could have a clogged up radiator because it is all about the air being able to flow through your radiator to in turn cool your engine temperature. At that high of miles on your Mustang 140K+ miles if your water pump has never been changed I would consider changing your water pump. If your radiator is clogged up install a new radiator.

You can install a engine oil cooler on your Mustang and it is well worth it as it will lower your engine temperature overall and prolong the life of your engine. Also doing your oil changes on time every time and completely flushing and refilling your cooling system will help. You could have a clogged up radiator because it is all about the air being able to flow through your radiator to in turn cool your engine temperature. At that high of miles on your Mustang 140K+ miles if your water pump has never been changed I would consider changing your water pump. If your radiator is clogged up install a new radiator.

The radiator looks new. But I am probably going to throw a 3 core in it. I have a trans oil cooler showing up on Monday so hopefully that'll help the trans temp drop. We'll see.

The radiator looks new. But I am probably going to throw a 3 core in it. I have a trans oil cooler showing up on Monday so hopefully that'll help the trans temp drop. We'll see.
Yeah you can run a transmission oil cooler too if you have a automatic it should do wonders with lowering your transmission oil temperature. My radiator was clogged up before and I installed a new Fluidyne three row radiator and it lowered my engine temperature quite well. I highly recommend the Fluidyne three row radiator it is well worth the coin spent. You know when you install your transmission oil cooler you will have to completely flush your transmission fluid before you install it right? I installed a transmission oil cooler on my friends 00 GT before and we flushed out all the automatic transmission fluid before we installed it and then refilled the transmission with new transmission fluid after we installed the transmission oil cooler. I believe in was a B&M transmission oil cooler which worked great.

Also the correct automatic transmission fluid to use is Ford Motorcraft Mercon V automatic transmission fluid. Be sure to find out what the correct transmission fluid capacity is so you will have enough transmission fluid for the job.

Yes, I always flush my trans before adding an external cooler. Not my first rodeo, I've had a few self built high HP diesels pickups and other modded cars. Just the first modular motor I've messed with so I am learning all the ins and outs and common problems. I ordered a Mishimoto trans cooler with aux fan, should drop my trans temps quite well.

I was looking at the fluidyne 3 core, it will probably be the one I go with.

The motor will most likely be replaced sooner or later. I have a teksid block I had planned building a forged platform for a boosted Crown Vic before I traded for this. Want to get all the cooling down first.

Yes, I always flush my trans before adding an external cooler. Not my first rodeo, I've had a few self built high HP diesels pickups and other modded cars. Just the first modular motor I've messed with so I am learning all the ins and outs and common problems. I ordered a Mishimoto trans cooler with aux fan, should drop my trans temps quite well.

I was looking at the fluidyne 3 core, it will probably be the one I go with.

The motor will most likely be replaced sooner or later. I have a teksid block I had planned building a forged platform for a boosted Crown Vic before I traded for this. Want to get all the cooling down first.
Good choice the Mishimoto transmission oil cooler with the auxiliary fan is a excellent transmission oil cooler it should work well on your car. Yes the Fluidyne three row radiator would be my first choice for a radiator on my Mustang. Good luck with your engine build sounds like a very fun project. If you plan on going with boost you are going the right direction as you will run into cooling problems if your cooling system isn't up for the task as a boosted application will increase your temperatures. What direction are you thinking about going supercharger,turbocharger,nitrous oxide? Depending of course what you are going to be using your car for I highly recommend installing a Procharger set up. How much boost do you plan on running? Details on your engine build?

I'm still looking into it. Most likely I will keep the teksid crank with the block and do Manley forged pistons and rods with stock compression. Ported heads. I am only planning on running maybe 6-8 psi. If I don't build my own turbo setup, a procharger would be the route I go.

Still a lot of planning to do. Probably won't be in the works until next summer, unless this motor gives up before then.

I'm still looking into it. Most likely I will keep the teksid crank with the block and do Manley forged pistons and rods with stock compression. Ported heads. I am only planning on running maybe 6-8 psi. If I don't build my own turbo setup, a procharger would be the route I go.

Still a lot of planning to do. Probably won't be in the works until next summer, unless this motor gives up before then.
I would definitely keep the Teksid crank if it is reuseable just inspect it and have it turned and cleaned. Manley rods and pistons are very strong and will be up for the task. Diamond pistons are also a good choice. Ported PI heads will compliment your set up with making extra air flow. There are a lot of good PI cylinder head porting services out there to choice from. Where are you thinking about getting your PI heads ported? When doing a build you have to know what parts you are going to throw at it of course. If you are rebuilding your engine with those internals 6-8 psi. is on the very conservative side. You could at least run 10-12 psi. safely with a good tune. Turbo kits make good power but they create a lot of heat and I seen people having more problems/issues with turbo set ups in my experience. If you plan on running that low of psi. a Procharger P1

I would definitely keep the Teksid crank if it is reuseable just inspect it and have it turned and cleaned. Manley rods and pistons are very strong and will be up for the task. Diamond pistons are also a good choice. Ported PI heads will compliment your set up with making extra air flow. There are a lot of good PI cylinder head porting services out there to choice from. Where are you thinking about getting your PI heads ported? When doing a build you have to know what parts you are going to throw at it of course. If you are rebuilding your engine with those internals 6-8 psi. is on the very conservative side. You could at least run 10-12 psi. safely with a good tune. Turbo kits are nice and make good power but they create a lot of heat and I seen people having more problems/issues with turbo set ups in my experience. If you plan on running that low of psi. a Procharger P1SC with a 10 or 12 psi. pulley would work well on these Modular engines with a good tune. Procharger set ups were the most reliable/dependable supercharger set ups I have seen.