New Here Looking For Some Great Advice!

Glock716

Dec 30, 2017
Hey guys and gals, My name is Tyler and I'm new to the building field. I grew up in the drag racing community. My father had all different year and model mustangs (mainly all ford production vehicles). I grew up on the drag strips here in Georgia. When my father started to sell all his vehicles, it kind of upset me. Now that I am in my mid 20s I finally want to start a build of some sort. I prefer the 85-93 foxbody mustangs of course because they are lighter weight. I want to build an N/A motor if possible around 400+ HP if this is even possible. Like I said before everyone, I'm extremely new to this and would appreciate any help I can get. I dont make a whole lot of money and I am currently engaged so money is tight. I'm looking to build a 302 or an older motor like a 429 or 460 because thats what my father had in most of his cars growing up that he built back in the day. If any of this is not possible please let me know but be respectful seeing I've never done something like this before. I have friends and family that are going to help me with this build and I am wanting something that is streetable and can take the the drag strip.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys and gals, My name is Tyler and I'm new to the building field. I grew up in the drag racing community. My father had all different year and model mustangs (mainly all ford production vehicles). I grew up on the drag strips here in Georgia. When my father started to sell all his vehicles, it kind of upset me. Now that I am in my mid 20s I finally want to start a build of some sort. I prefer the 85-93 foxbody mustangs of course because they are lighter weight. I want to build an N/A motor if possible around 400+ HP if this is even possible. Like I said before everyone, I'm extremely new to this and would appreciate any help I can get. I dont make a whole lot of money and I am currently engaged so money is tight. I'm looking to build a 302 or an older motor like a 429 or 460 because thats what my father had in most of his cars growing up that he built back in the day. If any of this is not possible please let me know but be respectful seeing I've never done something like this before. I have friends and family that are going to help me with this build and I am wanting something that is streetable and can take the the drag strip. ALSO I'M PROBABLY MESSING ALOT OF THIS UP BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE IM NEW TO THIS.

Hey guys and gals, My name is Tyler and I'm new to the building field. I grew up in the drag racing community. My father had all different year and model mustangs (mainly all ford production vehicles). I grew up on the drag strips here in Georgia. When my father started to sell all his vehicles, it kind of upset me. Now that I am in my mid 20s I finally want to start a build of some sort. I prefer the 85-93 foxbody mustangs of course because they are lighter weight. I want to build an N/A motor if possible around 400+ HP if this is even possible. Like I said before everyone, I'm extremely new to this and would appreciate any help I can get. I dont make a whole lot of money and I am currently engaged so money is tight. I'm looking to build a 302 or an older motor like a 429 or 460 because thats what my father had in most of his cars growing up that he built back in the day. If any of this is not possible please let me know but be respectful seeing I've never done something like this before. I have friends and family that are going to help me with this build and I am wanting something that is streetable and can take the the drag strip. ALSO I'M PROBABLY MESSING ALOT OF THIS UP BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE IM NEW TO THIS.
Welcome to Stangnet. You came to the correct place to ask this question. You'll want to stay away from a big heavy big block. You can get 400 hp out of a SBF but you'll need to stroke it. What is your budget? Is this for drag racing at the strip? Have emissions where you live?

I appreciate it and thanks for the reply, and as of right now I do not have a set budget. I'm wanting to take my time with it so if it takes me 2-3 years to build exactly what I want then thats okay with me. But yes I want a car that I could drive on the street with buddies but also change tires and go to the strip on the weekends.

If you build a stroked 302, you will end up replacing most everything you would if you were to do a 351 swap (engine mounts, headers, etc) as the stock stuff will hold you way back. The exception is having to buy new drive accessories mounts (alternator, power steering, etc) if you 351 swap, as the 302 stuff wont fit without all new brackets. That will add a bit of extra cost over a stroked 302, but not a lot in the grand scheme. I just swapped a 347 into my car, and learned that I should have stuck to my guns and gone to a stroked 351.

A 351 based engine will create more torque which is always great. I learned first hand by going from a 2011 Mustang GT with minor mods/tune to an SRT8 Dodge Charger. The Mustang had 420 hp, 379 tq. The SRT8 425 hp, but 420 tq. The difference was obvious, even with the Charger being a bigger/heavier car. That torque not only carriers you off the line, you feel it helping carry the car up high as well, so long as its a nice flat torque curve across the RPM band.

So the point to all my rambling is that if you are to start fresh, I would point you to a 351 based build, based on what I learned thinking I would just quickly swap in a 347 in place of my 302. Spend the extra $500-$800 for the swap, you will be glad you did later on down the road when you arent missing the money anymore. Block strength, power output, and the fact you can make the same power with a much milder combination will give you better driveability on the street.

Last edited:
If budget is a issue, spend more on a nicer car. Chances are the “fixer upper” will cost you more in the long run.

But my main advice is to get a solid plan before you start. Keep asking questions, hook up with your family, make sure you have a place to do the work. You already seem ahead of most.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome aboard youngster. :)

Simple enough, get you a foxbody and build up a 302; engine parts aplenty for the tried & true pushrod Ford 5.0 (but clean foxes are getting hard-er to come by nowadays; you'll have an easier time finding a rust free fox in Georgia compared to other parts of the country like the rust-belt midwest/north).

Be sure to check out the 79-95 fox section (linked below) for past builds, ideas, info, searches, etc:

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/1979-1995-fox-sn95-0-2-3l-general-talk.47/

Thing is I read that a 302 block maxes out at 500hp which is pushing it to breakage. I heard that the 351 Windsor can hold up to 700 hp. My goal is to one day have a full blown drag car. But for right now money is tight so it will take me a while to build it. But for now I’m looking to probably do a 351 motor I’ve found al the essential parts needed so far. Just need help thinking of what transmission now.

You might already know this, but check for rust in hidden areas. On foxbodies check the frame rails, the door area where the doors bolt onto the car and the cowl area. These are known places for hidden rust that can turn into a BIG problem. Make sure whatever you decide on, start with a rust free body.

With no budget, no ET goals and drivability being subjective, it's hard to help.
Having said that, looking at a light '85 with a 351 is certainly a good starting point for a street strip toy.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to Stangnet.

Like @COBRA90GT was saying, look around the '79-'95 subforums.

Better yet, I'll move your thread over there. The guys will chime in.

Do you have easy access to 351w blocks, or 460 blocks? Either one can be developed into pretty badass engines. See what your dad has hanging around, that will probably be a big benefit for you.

Nothing is cheap in horsepower though.

Transmission wise, there's the TKO series. they're in the $2500 range brand new and can handle 500-600 ft/lb of torque.

It's good to have you with us.

Hi Tyler,
There are lots of fox body choices available in GA still. Taking some time to look for a clean one will keep your project much simpler. If you want a fun car that can keep a smile on your face a 5-speed car with basic bolt ons will do the trick while also being reliable and cheap to own. You can do the necessary suspension upgrades while your budget for the higher horsepower comes around.

Jonathan

Like most of us addicted to horsepower my 93GT has been through many transformations in the engine department. Two or three different hci set-ups, four different superchargers etc.
They all were a lot of fun, some performed better than expected and some were disappointing but in my
case I am most happy with my current n/a stroked 351w (393).
Keep in mind though whatever way you choose to build hp don't forget about suspension....it's not cheap
to do it right but makes a big difference.

I agree on not worrying about making tons of power. An 11 or even 12 second street car is a lot of fun. In a fox body it doesn't take much more than 300 rwhp to get there and it would keep the car fairly reliable and streetable. If I were on a budget build this is what I would lean towards.

A 351w is a great starting point for a build no doubt. Seems overkill to me for only wanting about 400 hp (I always assume rwhp). Finding a good 351w seems to be difficult these days as there is somebody who keeps finding bad blocks @hoopty5.0 . Since this 85' already has a 351w swapped in it then you're ahead of the game. Make sure the engine is healthy and that the car is straight. Hopefully this car already has full length SFC's (subframe connectors), torque boxes reinforced, etc. Getting a 351w to 400+rwhp is still as much of a task as a 302. You'll still need aluminum heads, cam, intake, and a decent carb (assuming he 85' is not EFI) and more cubes.

The t-top chassis will twist more than a hatch so I suggest through floor SFC's like....
mmfp-1109-mustang-chassis-stiffing-guide-the-stiffmeister-014.jpg

Reactions: 1 users