New "quiet" exhaust...

95BlueStallion

My assy trans to myself
15 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So the fiance doesnt like taking trips in the Mustang because the drone of the dumps. I broke down and had flowmaster tail pipes installed... It is so quiet now I can hardly handle it! I feel like my car has lost part of its uniqueness!!!! So now I am trying to convince her that I need new wheels to make it more unique again, lol. Thats not going over so well yet. :rolleyes: Have any of you guys run dumps, and then put full length exhaust on again? Will it ever seem "loud" again? I mean, Im running shorty headers, an O/R H-pipe with 40 series flowmaster mufflers, and it just seems like Im driving a probe... Plus, I can hear my fuel pump whining loud through my thin rear seat delete, and I hear more little squeaks that I never could hear before... The throttle response seems a bit better though! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I went back to tailpipes a few months ago. I went from flowmaster dumps to summit welded mufflers with my factory tail pipes. I actually liked having an exhaust "note" again. I solved the quiet part by putting in a set of electric cut outs. it wonderful! I can be loud when I want and quiet when I need to be.

dang ... already :taco: whipped ... you are in trouble bro. :D

but seriously ...

if you both have agreed to save until your joint savings account has XXX dollars in it, then sure, do that first.

but everyone needs some personal time, and some "mad" money to blow on themselves.

my wife is not OK with me tinkering with my car, even after everything i do for her and the family, and it has caused alot of conflict. she also isn't OK with me playing video games after the kids went to bed, or going to play soccer saturday mornings before everyone gets out of bed. i have grown to resent her for it, and we are in counseling as a result.

if you let your fiancee dictate what you can and cannot do with your personal time and "mad" money, then you will start to resent her. and your relationship will suffer as a result

take it from me ... a guy's wife needs to be OK with his choices for what he does with his personal time and money. if it is your "mad" money, that you have saved, and you want to buy some wheels with it, or a big screen tv, or whatever, then you need to put your foot down about it. that is the only way the relationship will have a chance to make it.

if she cannot accept your choices, then maybe she is not the right partner for you

wow, sorry about the sermon

cutouts sound like a great compromise

dang ... already :taco: whipped ... you are in trouble bro. :D

but seriously ...

if you both have agreed to save until your joint savings account has XXX dollars in it, then sure, do that first.

but everyone needs some personal time, and some "mad" money to blow on themselves.

my wife is not OK with me tinkering with my car, even after everything i do for her and the family, and it has caused alot of conflict. she also isn't OK with me playing video games after the kids went to bed, or going to play soccer saturday mornings before everyone gets out of bed. i have grown to resent her for it, and we are in counseling as a result.

if you let your fiancee dictate what you can and cannot do with your personal time and "mad" money, then you will start to resent her. and your relationship will suffer as a result

take it from me ... a guy's wife needs to be OK with his choices for what he does with his personal time and money. if it is your "mad" money, that you have saved, and you want to buy some wheels with it, or a big screen tv, or whatever, then you need to put your foot down about it. that is the only way the relationship will have a chance to make it.

if she cannot accept your choices, then maybe she is not the right partner for you

wow, sorry about the sermon

cutouts sound like a great compromise

Thanks for the advice! :nice: I agree completely, and we actually have had that conversation. We basically agreed that we would save X amount of money to fall back on if needed, and then any extra I make will go to what I want, and what she has extra can go to shopping or whatever girlie crap she needs. She makes twice as much as I do annually, so she cant complain with our deal! I plan on using the good ol' G.W. money to finish paying for our wedding stuff, but she wants me to wait until the $ in our hands before I spend my extra cash now. It makes sense, so thats why Im cool with it. And yes, Im :taco: whipped, youre absolutely right! I think I will get heads and a cam before I throw cut outs in, cause they will have to go in the H-pipe before the mufflers, and the sound of a stock cammed open header car just isnt that cool IMO...

Well my dumps drone less than with tailpipes... guess I am lucky...

Also Chris is right... Everyone needs some mad money and no answers to questions about where it goes... I did this by keeping a seperate bank account that I direct deposit a couple hundred in every month... we do not see the $$ so it is my mad $$, and occasionally I will take care of the unexpected bill this way, her birthday, christmas, mothers day, etc...

Just gotta do the basics, do not let anythign build up between the two fo you, talk/fight it out, never go to bed angry, and make sure everything is on the table... not always the easiest things to do but it makes things work... at least so far so good for me and we are going on 7 years married and 14+ years together...

This turned from an exhaust thread to a marriage thread, but its all good. Chit chatting is chit chatting. My girl and I have been together 5+ years now, so we have a feel for eachother. She is a nurse, and earned her salary by putting herself through school which I respect knowing I didnt want to finish my 4 year stint... We bought a house together already, and have our wedding in July. She knows I always "make" money for my car, but its never really an arguement. She is just being uptight right now the weddings expenses we have faced lately. Otherwise she is pretty cool about it. Back on track though, Im cool with the tailpipe addition, because we live in a very quiet neighboorhood with lots of kids, and although my close neighbors know Im a good guy, some of the others seemed to be pissy that my car was louder. I mean, I go to work at 6:30am and most of the neighborhood is just waking up... So Im gonna keep them. That is until I get the rest of my H/C/I setup in which case I will get electric cut outs. Thanks for the input guys.

sorry about taking it off topic. i just saw the "trying to convince her", and the "it's not going over well" and it threw up red flags.

i am in a similar situation in my neighborhood. i take my daughter to the bus stop at 6:45 am (she's in high school) and my neighborhood is very quiet, especially at that time. my neighbor has a couple of vintage harleys though, and even though he only rides them in the afternoons on the weekend, i think he as sort of broken the neighbors in a little.

I like mine quiet...I was running stock muffs dumped...actually sounded good, thats with LT's and a Prochmr...got tired of that and thru some 2.5" tails on to quiet it more..

Kinda been there done that on loud exhaust...

Yeah, I am getting used to it the more and more I drive it. I think it will grow on me... In the mean time, my trunk is stripped of all carpet and sound deadening along with the spare and jack cause I have run flats. That has helped get a little more sound back into the car again!

man i was runnin the stock shorties, an or-h and some dynomax race bullet dumps, LET me tell you how obnoxious it got after a few months. at first, it was cool. but it got so god damn annoying....

goin to the borla side exhaust to quiet things down. its what i want, i want a quiet creeper, but there when i want it to be! and thats just what it did

Heck yeah boys, I found the perfect setup for my liking! You may remember the half arsed job my exhaust shop did putting my tips on. I took it back and asked them to fix it. They agreed, but it came out uneven after they welded the mount to my rear framerail. By uneven I mean a half inch difference. Long story short, I wont be going back there again. I decided last night to cut my tips off right past the axle where it bends down between the axle and gas tank. Its sounds great! There is a little more sound in the car which I love, but not as much as the dumps. Plus, its a little louder so it doesnt sound like a stocker anymore. The best part is the idle in the car. Its a great deep sound, but not as loud as the dumps and not as much exhaust smell. I didnt really like the look of the tails with only 2 1/2 inch pipe anyway, so this is perfect for me. Just thought I would share my excitement. Have a good one guys (and gals...).

Go H/C/I and see how freakin loud your car gets through tailpipes :O

With the stock stuff, the dumps are 'OK' souding, but the note I get through the tails is freakin intoxicating, and doesn't drone inside the car like a set of dumps do.

You can literally hear my car 1/2 mile away. That's loud enough for me.