New Stinger Performance Project "Car"

Stinger

Founding Member
Jul 7, 2001
Shawnee, KS
As some of you already know, I bought a dragster yesterday. Hopefully I can answer most of the questions here. First some pics:
View attachment 452477
View attachment 452479
View attachment 452482
View attachment 452483

Specs:
167" wheelbase
Built by a professional race shop
Chrome Moly tubing chassis
Raced in several different ET classes in North
Race weight is ~1000lbs :eek:
Engine is a 2.0L turbo running 22psi.
Transmission: Doug Nash 5 speed, air shifted :D
Rear End: Shortened Ford 9"
Engine specs:
10.5:1 compression
Aluminum Rods
Draw-thru carb
Runs on race gas (130 octane), not alky.
Professionally Ported Head/Oversize SS valves/Comp Cam...supposedly the exact same head porting, cam, etc. as Buddy Engersol ran in his 2.0 turbo motors...this guy acted like he knew Buddy pretty well.

His spare engine and all spare parts are included with the car.

The dragster ran the 1/4 mile in the high 9 second range at 140+mph. It has not been raced for 4 years.

Using the horsepower calculators, it seems it only takes about 200hp to go high 9's at 1000lbs. That means it either weighs more than a grand, they ran it real easy, or the engines don't run as they should.

I plan to pull the carbed 2.0 out and replace it with a 2.3 EFI turbo motor for various reasons. Mainly because I'm familiar with them, I have tons of parts for them, they are dirt cheap to replace, run on pump gas, and I know much more about EFI than carbs. The other bonus is at the power levels required to haul ass in this thing, the EFI motors are dead reliable.

I plan to intercool it once the 2.3 goes in, otherwise it will be a simple bolt-on 2.3 engine for now. Ported head, big cam, etc. will follow depending on performance of the bolt-on engine.

The first things I'll need to do once I get it home is to buy new safety equipement (belts, etc.) and then see what it takes to get it re-certified. Once the car is certified, I'll have to take a physical and then make some shakedown runs before I can get licensed to drive it. I also plan to weigh it as soon as I can so I can figure out how much power I actually need to make to run the speeds I'd like to run.

I won't be able to pick it up until I return from my West Coast vacation on August 7th. Then there will be some updates...

• Sponsors (?)

WORLD'S FASTEST JUNKYARD ENGINE!!!!

You need to be looking for a driver for that thing.....somebody stupid enough to not let go of the throttle....

We could do it like "Cool Runnings" where we both ride.
"Feel the rythme"
"Feel the ryhme"
"Get on up, Its rail car time!!!!"

I am seriously jealous!

I want one!

If you don't mind, do you have a regular racing plan in mind? Local bracket series, or index classes?

These look like once you get one, they are less costly and easier to keep up than a door car.

Keep us posted.

Stinger said:
Turbine housing as a full T4 style .96 a/r housing. It's not just any ol' 2.0 though...it's fully ported, huge cam, 10.5:1 compression, and spins 13,500 rpm ;)

'Splains that then. I would have expected lower than 9s for that much boost on that much engine. Then again, no I/C on 22psi can't be doing much for the charge density.

13,500? For real?