New SVT guy here!

fstornge_04

Feb 22, 2006
Hey all, just thought I would introduce myself. My name is James, I am 30 years old and in the military...just bought a 2004 Comp Orange Cobra..could not pass it up, only has 10K miles on it and still pretty much stock:nice:
I have owned several GT's in the past but this is the first SVT for me.
I have done quite a bit of research but I know there is nothing like trial and error. Anyway just looking forward to talking with you guys about what to do next.

Thanks,
James

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback. I am currently looking into the suspension part of this...I have already ordered a MGW shifter and some decorating items. I'm thinking of going with H&R Race springs and poly Iso's....maybe some chrome FR500's.
I believe I'm going to shoot for around the 525-550 HP range...don't think I want to touch the 600 range...I heard there are a lot of probs with these things starting to fall apart at that HP level? Anyway thanks a lot and I look foward to talking with you all! Active duty Army!

fstornge_04 said:
Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback. I am currently looking into the suspension part of this...I have already ordered a MGW shifter and some decorating items. I'm thinking of going with H&R Race springs and poly Iso's....maybe some chrome FR500's.
I believe I'm going to shoot for around the 525-550 HP range...don't think I want to touch the 600 range...I heard there are a lot of probs with these things starting to fall apart at that HP level? Anyway thanks a lot and I look foward to talking with you all! Active duty Army!
Most of the failures are due to heat issues. There is an issue with coolant flow in the drivers side head. Also, Ford made the piston clearances too tight, so during long WOT pulls, heat causes the pistons to expand too far and in some cases they actually seize in the bore and scuff the piston skirts, crack ring lands, and such. If you are using the car for a fun daily driver, you should be fine. Most failures I have seen come from beating the ever living crap out of the cars.

Dan_Soprano said:
Most of the failures are due to heat issues. There is an issue with coolant flow in the drivers side head. Also, Ford made the piston clearances too tight, so during long WOT pulls, heat causes the pistons to expand too far and in some cases they actually seize in the bore and scuff the piston skirts, crack ring lands, and such.
EXAMPLE....

piston.jpg

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 79