New To The Group And Lookin For Yalls Input

Christopher Brault

Dec 19, 2017
Hey all,
I have a 2002 ford mustang gt 5 speed. I bought her rebuilt with alot of mods. I will attach the mod list so yall can take a look at it.
Recently, i have had the infamous 2-3 gear grind due to the synchros goin out. I have looked into the kit (thanks to yall on here) for the fix and between the kit and the labor id be lookin around 12-1500. Currently, she still has the 5 speed transmission with a 4:10 final drive gear as listed in the mods list.
With that said; with the mods on the stang already, should i just do the kit and fix whats broke or should i go with a swap and do a 6 speed transmission? And if i were to do the 6 speed, what transmission and gear ratio should i be in the market for? Also keep in mind i will be bringing this to a shop to do, not doin it myself i dont mess with transmissions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180106-211042.png
    Screenshot_20180106-211042.png
    476.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20180106-211038.png
    Screenshot_20180106-211038.png
    622.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20180106-211030.png
    Screenshot_20180106-211030.png
    505.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20180106-211003.png
    Screenshot_20180106-211003.png
    774.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Sponsors (?)

The fan boys out there that don't have to pay the bills will straight away recommend going with the 6 speed.

For a better answer it would help to know such things as:
  • your plans for future mods. Is more HP in your future?
  • How do you intend to drive this car? Many street or strip?
  • What is the main advantage that you are hoping to get from the 6 speed? (better gas mileage, higher top speed, better shifts, more reliable?).
  • Have you priced the full cost of the upgrade including the custom length drive shaft?
  • how long do you plan to keep this car?

I have bills but taxes are comin up haha.

Future mods, i may get a bigger pully to push 10-12 lbs instead of just 7. But as far as proformance thats all id be lookin at. Im happy with where shes at now.

She is my daily driver i dont go to the strip often

I was lookin at the 6 speed option for the more reliable reason i guess. With the power im pushin i figured the 6 speed would be better for the long term. What would be my advantages to switching to a 6 speed?

I have not priced it yet. I wanted yalls input first to know if its worth it and what trans i should get what other things i need to look into to do this upgrade.

I plan on keeping this car until it blows up lol.

Taxes due then R/R your 5 speed. The 6 speed has an extra OD which might be nice with your 4.10's and if you get the right one it can handle more power. But you will pay dearly for it. The T56 is heavier but shifts real nice(the ones I have driven anyway). Unless you are going to buy a new T56 you will have to have your used one rebuilt unless you want to take a chance on a used low mileage one that may need rebuilding sooner rather than later. Since you cannot do the work its all about money.
I noticed they did not forge that engine so I would be real careful about increasing the pressure( a tune is mandatory of course) or you maybe getting rid of the car much sooner than planned.
Instead of the exra OD for better mileage from the T56, if you are hoping for some, I would drop down to 3.55 in the rear since traction is the real problem with this power.

Ok so just so i understand, rebuild my current 5 speed and drop to 3.55 gears. And keep the 7lbs of pressure instead of chancing breaking something. Like i said im happy with the power im pushin now. This is what you would do? Price wise i make decent but im a fire fighter i dont make bank lol.

Ok so just so i understand, rebuild my current 5 speed and drop to 3.55 gears. And keep the 7lbs of pressure instead of chancing breaking something. Like i said im happy with the power im pushin now. This is what you would do? Price wise i make decent but im a fire fighter i dont make bank lol.

I do more freeway driving so the 3.55 would be best for me and my prior supercharged GT traction was the problem hence the 3.55. Of course you have to factor in the price of the new gears unless the rear end could use a rebuild .Many OP are happy with 4.10 and even lower supercharged so personal preference is the most important criteria for most OP. For me the cost effective way to go is rebuilding your present tranny. Its mostly about money, upping the HP if done right and you don't abuse it can work quite well but yes there is a greater chance of damage with the increase. Could your budget sustain an engine fix(hopefully forged) if needed? I have read of many OP supercharging/nitrous on stock high mileage engines with no problems. There should be more opinions coming for you to choose from.

I do more freeway driving so the 3.55 would be best for me and my prior supercharged GT traction was the problem hence the 3.55. Of course you have to factor in the price of the new gears unless the rear end could use a rebuild .Many OP are happy with 4.10 and even lower supercharged so personal preference is the most important criteria for most OP. For me the cost effective way to go is rebuilding your present tranny. Its mostly about money, upping the HP if done right and you don't abuse it can work quite well but yes there is a greater chance of damage with the increase. Could your budget sustain an engine fix(hopefully forged) if needed? I have read of many OP supercharging/nitrous on stock high mileage engines with no problems. There should be more opinions coming for you to choose from.

Awesome. I appreciate it brother thank you.

Who else is out there what other opinions do we got?

That lik was perfect! Thank you! Whats your opinions on the gears? 4.10 or 3.55? Currently she has the 4.10 final drive gear she does break traction quite a bit but its managable. She is my daily driver but i do like to play of course.

If you have ye money left over after transmission and clutch replacement, i might consider swapping down gears. Do you like a tire fryer or are you looking to gain some top end speed? The 3.55 are pretty good for supercharged cars. My previous gt had a procharger and 3.73. I liked that. From a performance standpoint if your spinning tires, you're losing time. But for street cars it may be fun to spin the tires in 3rd gear. All in what you want from the car.

My 2003 gt had 3.73 in it and i liked it. But ive heard good things about the 3.55. Burnin tires means buyin new tires n those get expensive. Im lookin for more top end speed. I will always be able to smoke them in 1st or even 2nd. I will just have to get another tune and reprogram my 2step launch or take the 2step out. Ill bring these options to my trans guy and start pricing. Now, i have the 31spline already. So shpuld i go with the pro force hd or the pro force pro? As far as proformance im not gunna be doin anything else to her im happy with where shes at.