New To The Scene And Seeking Guidance

Fox_Gainz

Nov 30, 2016
Hello all

New to the online mustang community, residing in Texas and currently towards the end of my major project on my 91 LX fox body convertible.

A little bit about me
I'm a hands on person, currently majoring in Computer Systems and Telecommunications. Have a knack for working/fixing electronic and computers and working on my own car as a hobby, fairly new to working on my own stuff but a quick study to say, keeps me out of trouble :p.

My project on the fox consist of
My current engine set up
- Ford Racing 302 Block bored 0.30 over for a 347 stroker kit
- Performance Automatic 28oz AOD Flexpalte, 164 Tooth, SFI approved
- SVE Aluminum heads
- BBK SSI intake
-70mm TB
-30# injectors
-76mm MAF
-B303 cam
-B&M 2200 Stall converter
- Heavy duty Rebuild kit with shift kit for AOD
-Wire Tuck w/Battery relocation in trunk ( Yes I did use welding wire for the battery power cables )

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

All of the work i've completed on my own:nice:

Having a very annoying starter issue with this build but i'll be making a separate thread for that soon and hoping to get some guidance on this issue. I have come across many strangnet threads that have helped me very dearly along the way on my build and for that I am thankful for. Thanks again !:SN:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet.

Very nice car, one curious question though, a 28oz imbalance? Not 50?

Nice work, I'm going to move your thread to the '79-'95 general talk subforum. That's where us fox geeks hangout.

You don't necessarily need to start a seperate thread when you have questions about your build.

It's good to have you with us, and keep posting pictures, we like pictures.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a huge fan of convertibles but that is a nice ride! And welcome! I'm fairly new as well so I spend most of my time lurking and learning.

How's the saying go, better to be thought a fool than to speak and prove them right!

Hello all

New to the online mustang community, residing in Texas and currently towards the end of my major project on my 91 LX fox body convertible.

A little bit about me
I'm a hands on person, currently majoring in Computer Systems and Telecommunications. Have a knack for working/fixing electronic and computers and working on my own car as a hobby, fairly new to working on my own stuff but a quick study to say, keeps me out of trouble :p.

My project on the fox consist of
My current engine set up
- Ford Racing 302 Block bored 0.30 over for a 347 stroker kit
- Performance Automatic 28oz AOD Flexpalte, 164 Tooth, SFI approved
- SVE Aluminum heads
- BBK SSI intake
-70mm TB
-30# injectors
-76mm MAF
-B303 cam
-B&M 2200 Stall converter
- Heavy duty Rebuild kit with shift kit for AOD
-Wire Tuck w/Battery relocation in trunk ( Yes I did use welding wire for the battery power cables )

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

All of the work i've completed on my own:nice:

Having a very annoying starter issue with this build but i'll be making a separate thread for that soon and hoping to get some guidance on this issue. I have come across many strangnet threads that have helped me very dearly along the way on my build and for that I am thankful for. Thanks again !:SN:

Welcome and that is a very nice fox you have! Great work on the engine compartment.. I do have a few questions though and I am not trying to bash your ride.

• a 28 oz flexplate is not stock. did you balance the motor to 28oz and use a 28oz harmonic balancer?
  • a b cam is not a good choice for a 347 motor. It's not even a good choice for a 302 honestly.
  • SVE heads? are they 1.90 intake 1.60 exhaust? Again way to small a head for that motor
  • BBK intake- those are known to have gas and oil leaks and uneven distribution
  • IAC- where is yours
  • 2200 stall converter- way too low a stall with that motor. should be at least a 2800-3000
  • Do you have a trans cooler?

Again, your car is very very nice and I applaud your work. Wish I had your engine bay..lol.. however, to be honest the combo is a bunch of mismatched parts and you are leaving a lot of power on the table...

Reactions: 3 users
Great job on all the work. Very clean and aesthetically pleasing. But I'm also with mike on all of those particular parts. But if it runs well enough(for you)...congrats.

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome and that is a very nice fox you have! Great work on the engine compartment.. I do have a few questions though and I am not trying to bash your ride.

• a 28 oz flexplate is not stock. did you balance the motor to 28oz and use a 28oz harmonic balancer?
  • a b cam is not a good choice for a 347 motor. It's not even a good choice for a 302 honestly.
  • SVE heads? are they 1.90 intake 1.60 exhaust? Again way to small a head for that motor
  • BBK intake- those are known to have gas and oil leaks and uneven distribution
  • IAC- where is yours
  • 2200 stall converter- way too low a stall with that motor. should be at least a 2800-3000
  • Do you have a trans cooler?

Again, your car is very very nice and I applaud your work. Wish I had your engine bay..lol.. however, to be honest the combo is a bunch of mismatched parts and you are leaving a lot of power on the table...

Thank you all for the warm welcome :hail:
@Davedacarpainter I will post more pictures for sure, since I have pictures of all the body work from the beginning of the wire tuck and pretty much every step in-between.Could possible throw some idle videos when the car first started running. From your profile pic and name I assume you are well versed in body work?

@mikestang63 I appreciate your feedback, I'm all ears when it comes to improving my car. I purchased this car bone stock, was my daily driver for a while, a fun daily:nice: but in regards to the mis match parts you've mentioned I am not well versed to the best combo of parts and went off suggestion of an old buddy who used to work on mustangs of sorts back in the day. He's pretty old school as you can tell from the b303 cam suggestion, mentioned it was the bees knees cam back in the day but of course with today's technology modern day grinds of new cams for this era of cars are a lot better. At the time school and work budget wasn't the best so hot rodding on a budget it was:rolleyes:. A couple bolt ons from the stock motor config I used here with my new engine build. I know I know the BBK SSI gets a lot of flak for leaks of sorts and I can attest to them, but once you know where all the trouble spots are and deal with those area's with extra care its not a bad intake plus its ported:nice:. The only bolts on I had on the stock motor before this major build was:
-bbk ssi instak
-70mm tb
-b303
-shift kit with aod and 2200 stall
she ran pretty good.

IAC:thinking:? Ahh no wonder the car won't idle right its missing, I kidd this picture was right before I was finalize her first start up and the 28oz flex plate + balancer are called for this particular Scat 347 stroker kit. The trans cooler is still the one built in with the Mishimoto radiator.
SVE heads flow similar to the Trickflow twisted wedge heads
Intake Valve Diameter (in): 2.020 in.
Exhaust Valve Diameter (in): 1.600 in.
Not sure if that is sufficient for the 347?

Mike I am having an issue getting the car to idle normally like before with the previous set up, based on the set up parts I have now would that cause the idle issue and what are your suggestions on the correct combo of parts for my 347? Thanks in advance

Thank you all for the warm welcome :hail:
@Davedacarpainter I will post more pictures for sure, since I have pictures of all the body work from the beginning of the wire tuck and pretty much every step in-between.Could possible throw some idle videos when the car first started running. From your profile pic and name I assume you are well versed in body work?

@mikestang63 I appreciate your feedback, I'm all ears when it comes to improving my car. I purchased this car bone stock, was my daily driver for a while, a fun daily:nice: but in regards to the mis match parts you've mentioned I am not well versed to the best combo of parts and went off suggestion of an old buddy who used to work on mustangs of sorts back in the day. He's pretty old school as you can tell from the b303 cam suggestion, mentioned it was the bees knees cam back in the day but of course with today's technology modern day grinds of new cams for this era of cars are a lot better. At the time school and work budget wasn't the best so hot rodding on a budget it was:rolleyes:. A couple bolt ons from the stock motor config I used here with my new engine build. I know I know the BBK SSI gets a lot of flak for leaks of sorts and I can attest to them, but once you know where all the trouble spots are and deal with those area's with extra care its not a bad intake plus its ported:nice:. The only bolts on I had on the stock motor before this major build was:
-bbk ssi instak
-70mm tb
-b303
-shift kit with aod and 2200 stall
she ran pretty good.

IAC:thinking:? Ahh no wonder the car won't idle right its missing, I kidd this picture was right before I was finalize her first start up and the 28oz flex plate + balancer are called for this particular Scat 347 stroker kit. The trans cooler is still the one built in with the Mishimoto radiator.
SVE heads flow similar to the Trickflow twisted wedge heads
Intake Valve Diameter (in): 2.020 in.
Exhaust Valve Diameter (in): 1.600 in.
Not sure if that is sufficient for the 347?

Mike I am having an issue getting the car to idle normally like before with the previous set up, based on the set up parts I have now would that cause the idle issue and what are your suggestions on the correct combo of parts for my 347? Thanks in advance
I've been a painter since the late seventies. My screen name is stupid, but has a long history to it that would make you sleepy.