NEWProject...DAY 3 (after 2 weeks)

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Well it's been 2 weeks since we started, but today was only the "third day" of actual work...ENJOY:

View attachment 316196

View attachment 316197

2317427053008c.jpg


2317428053008d.jpg


2317429053008e.jpg


2317430053008f.jpg


Couple other things we did:

Dropped my old engine back into the donor car, welded a bung onto the Canton oil pan of the new engine ( for the Vortech drain hose...instead of tap, will have a threaded bung with A-N fitting.) and drilled the H-pipe and welded a bung for the Wideband O2 sensor...PLX M-300 Wideband.

Next step is to get some powder coated parts back, start assembling the final parts on the engine, and get that engine bay sanded and painted....SHould be done with this stage in the next 3 weeks.

Thanks
RC
 
What gauge plate??? 22??? this might be easier then finish welding up all the holes....

Yep...22 gauge unfinished welding steel. 2 sheets of 48" by 48" for about $20 a sheet. Since the roughest part is grinding the welding beads, I think this just might be easier. If you want a nicer look but less room, you could come down at an angle on the sheet metal.

Paint ball mask..:nice: That's not me. That's Jose (str8stang). Im the one making the first blow on the inside panel :dead:

If I can smoothen it out a little today, Ill throw another pic up.
RC
 
damn man, you aren't wasting any time

:hail2:

Hard to believe it's only been 2 weeks since the first day of work. ALL The REAL HEAVY work is almost done.

I would have even been further along but I have my household duty responsibilities to do also.

MIKE: That car is really Schweeeeeetttt!!

To me....Im worried most about getting all the stuff to work afterwards...not so much the car starting, but the lights, A/C, gauges, etc. EVERYTHING is a mess in the garage right now... ALSO..you said a 1/2 can bondo later??? We used 3/4 can yesterday, and Im about ready to open another can :nonono:

I dont mind the fine nitty gritty stuff like the sanding, because my "homies" did all the rough neck work, so Now it's my turn.

Hopefully, my painter will drop by today and check it out, then order what we need.

MY NEXT SHORT-TERM GOAL: By 2 weeks from today, have the engine bay painted....Then we can work on the final assembly of the engine and drop it....that will free up a lot of room in the garage!!

Thanks
RC
 
Yep...22 gauge unfinished welding steel. 2 sheets of 48" by 48" for about $20 a sheet. Since the roughest part is grinding the welding beads, I think this just might be easier. If you want a nicer look but less room, you could come down at an angle on the sheet metal.

Paint ball mask..:nice: That's not me. That's Jose (str8stang). Im the one making the first blow on the inside panel :dead:

If I can smoothen it out a little today, Ill throw another pic up.
RC

Thats cheap man.... where you pick that up
 
The next month will not be as fast, but I still at least want to be moving forward. The painter (my friend Richard) came by today and basically "laughed" at our prep job. He said NOT to bondo the seem at the bottom, because it can crack...that I need a sealer. There are some weld beads that are not grinded enough, the steel is not prepped right, and we left the metal bare behind the visible area (I agree I overlooked that and was mad, but the other stuff was all news to me.. Basically I have a LOT of prep to do now. Friday Im going to his shop to get some prep stuff. From then I have a week to finish prepping, and then he will try his best to get here 2 weeks from today to spray. That is my next goal...Hopefully, "PROJECT Day #4" pics will include the painted bay!!

Thanks
RC
 
Tire Clearance should not be an issue.

Was Away since Monday, so when I got back today, fit in a couple hour of sanding and "re bondo"

The first pic is the pass side strut tower...It is not "primer ready" but I hit it with a light coat so I can see the imperfections (since it "felt" smooth).

Compare that to the last picture in the first post above and you can see the progress.

Second phot is Driver side after bondo, and before sanding.. Got a lot more to go, but at least the progress is "forward".

Thanks
RC

2318845IMG3460.webp


2318846IMG3459.webp
 
hows tire clearance

We "tried" to check EXACT clearance today. Since the Kmember is off, it's hard to gauge exactly where it will be, so we used a jack to try to position the tire. It turns out that it just may end up being a problem. It really Sux because I was out all day trying to do the finishing up on the sanding.

Our choices are:

1. Finish EVERYTHING, including the painting and reinstall of Kmember, then fit it to see if it works...If so great...if not, then cut it out and start all over.

2. Cut our losses now, redo that one portion, and ENSURE that clearance wont be an issue.


As of right now we are opting for #2....dont know if that will change, but will make a final decision on Sat.


Thanks for pointing that out Adam!
RC