Next Upgrade: Headers and Exhaust, Which is Best?

So, I've pretty much decided at this point that my next upgrade will be the headers and exhaust. I'm gonna go with long tube headers, but I have a few questions:

1. I'm looking for a complete package, from the long tube headers down to the polished exhaust tips in order to save some money. Any suggestions on specific companies?

2. I've checked around, and people are telling me that Louisiana does not run an emissions test when you go in for an inspection. So if I got a non-cat X-Pipe, would I be ok? If not, I'll be looking for a system that has high flow cats. In that case, how much of a power loss am I looking at with the high flow cats as opposed to an O/R setup?

3. Is there anything else I'll need to purchase to complete the installation?

4. Should I do this installation myself? Or is that even feasable? I have no help (I could probably find an extra hand if I needed to), and no shop to do my work in.

5. Do I need to get my car re-tuned?

6. With a set-up you suggest, can you estimate how much of a RWHP gain I'll see after a re-tune?

• Sponsors (?)

how mechanically inclined are you? and what kind of access to tools and etc do you have? will you be performing on a lift or on jackstands?

its a pretty straight forward install, but working on jackstands can be a pain in the ass for something like that. its nice to have room to move around.

Kooks or American Racing are the best headers out there. I'd recommend a muffler like the Magnaflow Magnapack or Bassani race mufflers with a O/R X pipe. If you are doubting yourself, I'd let someone else do the install. Headers aren't the easiest mod to say the least. As far as a retune, ideally yes. Long tubes can lean a car out but there are a lot of people out there who don't have any problems running a tune not designed for longtubes. In my opinion, a tune is $60 so that's very cheap assurance in my mind. I wouldn't risk it. Also, use the factory gaskets as they can be reused and are a very good gasket.

I just recommend them because that's what sounds good to me. I suggest you do a lot of research and listening to sound clips on YouTube before making a decision. What sounds good to one of us could sound horrible to you.

I don't know Louisiana's rules, but often even when emissions aren't tested, there will still be a visual inspection. You may or may not fail based on the visual showing no cats. Someone from the area can probably give better insight.

I think the general consensus is 20-30 rwhp with full exhaust. Probably lower end if you are otherwise stock. You won't need a tune, but it'll obviously perform better if you do get a tune.

I have the Kooks LTs and the High Flow Catted X pipe with Pypes violators. I absolutely love the change in the sound with the Kooks, it is great and the quality is exceptional. However, the Pypes quality is severely lacking although the sound is pretty good.

I love Corsa's quality and their sound is just phenomenal, but personally I will be replacing the pypes with SLP loudmouths.

So, I've pretty much decided at this point that my next upgrade will be the headers and exhaust. I'm gonna go with long tube headers, but I have a few questions:

1. I'm looking for a complete package, from the long tube headers down to the polished exhaust tips in order to save some money. Any suggestions on specific companies?

2. I've checked around, and people are telling me that Louisiana does not run an emissions test when you go in for an inspection. So if I got a non-cat X-Pipe, would I be ok? If not, I'll be looking for a system that has high flow cats. In that case, how much of a power loss am I looking at with the high flow cats as opposed to an O/R setup?

3. Is there anything else I'll need to purchase to complete the installation?

4. Should I do this installation myself? Or is that even feasable? I have no help (I could probably find an extra hand if I needed to), and no shop to do my work in.

5. Do I need to get my car re-tuned?

6. With a set-up you suggest, can you estimate how much of a RWHP gain I'll see after a re-tune?

This issue really depends on your mechanical skill level and your access to tools, jacks, etc.

I installed the FRPP shorty's on my '05, 4 years ago in my fairly level driveway totally by myself (my first header install since 1970) and it took me almost 3 days to complete the job. I had it on 4 jack stands with the tires about 18" off the ground. I have a pretty complete set of mechanics tools and a compressor and air tools.

I have no idea of your skill level, but this is not a simple project for a beginner so as far as the headers go you would do well to get some knowelageable help, and please work SAFELY. The rest of the stuff, pipes and mufflers etc is all pretty easy driveway install parts.

Good luck to you, that looks like a really nice system you are looking at especially those Kooks Headers.

I have the Kooks LTs and the High Flow Catted X pipe with Pypes violators. I absolutely love the change in the sound with the Kooks, it is great and the quality is exceptional. However, the Pypes quality is severely lacking although the sound is pretty good.

I love Corsa's quality and their sound is just phenomenal, but personally I will be replacing the pypes with SLP loudmouths.

Thanks for the feedback...how did the power gain feel? A big noticeable difference?

This issue really depends on your mechanical skill level and your access to tools, jacks, etc.

I installed the FRPP shorty's on my '05, 4 years ago in my fairly level driveway totally by myself (my first header install since 1970) and it took me almost 3 days to complete the job. I had it on 4 jack stands with the tires about 18" off the ground. I have a pretty complete set of mechanics tools and a compressor and air tools.

I have no idea of your skill level, but this is not a simple project for a beginner so as far as the headers go you would do well to get some knowelageable help, and please work SAFELY. The rest of the stuff, pipes and mufflers etc is all pretty easy driveway install parts.

Good luck to you, that looks like a really nice system you are looking at especially those Kooks Headers.

Ok...won't be doing the install myself. Thanks man.