Carlosv725

Sep 25, 2019
California
Hi I recently replaced my master cylinder because I figured that would fix my problem of not being able to stop when I press the brake pedal. System was bled by the books after replacing and brake pads were inspected and are almost brand new. Although, an ABS light does come on and I have not yet inspected the ABS sensors I’m not sure if it has anything to do with my problem but hopefully that can be good information. The pedal doesn’t feel too soft nor too stiff but the car has no stopping power.This is quite aggravating because I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks now does anyone have any ideas, every reply is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

You don't say what year you stang is, there may be different procedures for the abs between 96-98 and 99-2004 cars. I know there is a procedure where you have to 'talk' to the abs system when you do brake work but I don't know what year that started.

You should find out what the codes are in the abs. They might help you find the problem.
+1 about bleeding the ABS control unit.

Here is some information regarding a very affordable ODB2 scanner that can read other modules such as ABS and IC (cluster) modules.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

To confirm, did you bench bleed the master cylinder before putting it on the car?

Have you inspected all of the brake lines for kinks or obstruction?

How are you bleeding the brakes? For example are you closing the wheel cylinder bleeder when the brake pedal is at the bottom? IE, is the system closed as the brake pedal comes up? What about the volume of fluid ejected with each pump of the brake pedal? Is it about the same from each side (volume wise)?

In my limited experience in actually dealing with an ABS module that I replaced on a Ford Edge. I could not get a firm pedal from manual bleeding no matter how many times I tried. Because the module had to be re-programmed anyway I also let the dealer power bleed the brakes. This restore pedal feel.