No More Offroad Mid Pipes?

Cheapskate207

The left one hangs a little lower
Jan 12, 2020
Maine
I've noticed that offroad H and X pipes are getting hard to find. LMR and american muscle only carry catted mid pipes now (with the exeption of LMR selling a bassani offroad X that I assume is just them selling remaining stock) and summit seems to be carrying less options. I haven't checked everywhere else but I'll assume the case is the same. Are these parts going away for general consumers?

• Sponsors (?)

Upon looking elsewhere it seems that nobody is carrying off-road pipes.. you can’t even get them direct from the manufacturers that I investigated.

PS: Mods, could you move this to general. I posted in tech by accident.

Yup. This isn't new. The EPA started back a few years and now it's efforts are starting to be seen. The EPA went right to the manufacturers. The below link goes back to 2015.

Magnaflow was fined $600K for it's off-road pipes. As part of the settlement, it can never make them again.

There's always still the custom exhaust shop route, although I can understand wanting a bolt on solution. I prefer cats, so I don';t have a dog in this fight.

Off-road H-pipes aren't coming back. Scoop them up (new or used) while you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I honestly preferred to get off-road pipes so I can get cats on my own. It's always seemed to me that catted pipes are overpriced when considering what aftermarket cats cost.

So are they going to do something about the chipped up diesel trucks that puke black smoke just because they can?
Oh, wait, epa is part of the government, they're here to help.

They have been,

I had noticed the stuff about the diesel trucks but not the old car stuff. I'm glad I got my offroad H pipe last year. I was wondering about an X pipe, but it seems that ship has sailed. If I want one I'll have my buddy weld it up.

The EPA has been cracking down for a while its nothing new just inventory trickling. Now that CARB is the federal mandate hence no more 49 state legal anymore things are going to get much worse before they get any better.

Reason why aftermarket cats are cheaper is usually because they don't clean as well as stockers.

Reason why aftermarket cats are cheaper is usually because they don't clean as well as stockers.
Well 3 years ago when I needed to do an e-test to get my stang on the road, the aftermarket cats I welded into my MAC Prochamber did the trick. Passed no problem. I don't have smog pump but do still retain the EGR.

Although I like the crisp sound of a 302 with no cats, I prefer to have them smell clean(er). Ive had cats on my Mustangs for the last 10+ years. The older I got, the more of a headache the exhaust smell would give me. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
If your exhaust smells your mixture is off, cats do nothing to reduce smell. If fact that off mixture will greatly reduce the life of your cat.
I understand what your saying about fuel mixture, but I think cats do help with the exhaust smell.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users