No more throw out bearing chirp!!!

Put in a Steeda adjustable cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant this weekend. NO MORE CHIRP!!!!!! Great mod but don't get the adjustable cable, just get a firewall adjuster and a heavyduty cable. SO, if you've ever wondered if it works... it does.

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt know the Steeda adjustable cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant prevented the squeeking, my squeeking is so anoying, im gona have to buy me one of those now... thanx for a solution :nice:

be careful with that solution... because it could end up costing you in the end... That chirp you heard indicates the TOB is bad... end of story... by you switching out the cable, and then tightening the cable till the chirp is gone is only masking the problem... and in the long run may cause more damage. How you ask? Well.. overtightening of the cable puts extra pressure on the thrust bearings on the crank.. Its kinda like driving with your foot over the clutch, kinda riding it all the time, but not having enough pressure to disengage the clutch... Ever notice how the chirp would stop when you would push in the clutch... hmm.. well that what's your doing by over tightening the cable... Still don't believe me.. call up a reputable engine builder, and ask how hard Ford SB's are on thrust bearings... Also, theirs a reason I have a new forged bottom end in my car.. I didn't know about over tightening the adjustable cable, and after a couple years like that, I had about 3/16" end play on my crank....

Food for thought!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Well i was thinking about buying a new clutch, but the main problem is gona be installation, someone told me it will problly be like 300-400 in labor, and i realy dont have the money for that

Personally, if I was strapped for cash, I would do the clutch install myself... I've done a few times, so its no big deal.. Unfortunetly its a PITA on stands... Now that I have a little more cash to throw around, I'll just have my buddy (Ford Heavy line Mechanic) do it.. He does side jobs at the dealer where he works, and charges about $125 to install a clutch... :) got to love having hookups...

Killer95stang - Are you saying that the throwout bearing being bad caused your engine problems or the fact that the cable was overtightened?
My throwout bearing is bad, the squeeking annoys the heII outta me but my clutch is fine still so I don't want to tear it apart yet just to replace the bearing unless I could break things from driving it as it is.

Naw... the bad TOB won't cause anymore damage, besides the mind numbing squeak... and the laughs and odd looks from the "HOT" chicks in the drivethru windows... (this is joke, because the drivethru window chicks around my house are FAT :) ) The damage to my crankshaft (did I just say that), was cause by my overly tightened clutch cable, and heavy left foot... so you should be fine... "SQUEAKY TOB STANGERS MUST UNITE!!!"

As for part #'s, just go to Steeda.com and look at the adjustable clutch stuff and take your pick. I think the squeek is an inherent problem with some mustangs. This is the second one that I have had do this with a brand new TO bearing. Mine quit squeeking by simply taking the slack out of the pedal, maybe the old self adjusting quadrant wasn't doing its job. A very slight bit of preload is not going to ruin engine bearings.

Naw... the bad TOB won't cause anymore damage, besides the mind numbing squeak... and the laughs and odd looks from the "HOT" chicks in the drivethru windows... (this is joke, because the drivethru window chicks around my house are FAT :) ) The damage to my crankshaft (did I just say that), was cause by my overly tightened clutch cable, and heavy left foot... so you should be fine... "SQUEAKY TOB STANGERS MUST UNITE!!!"

SQUEAKY STANGERS UNITE!!!! Mine still squeaks... just installed new clutch, TOB, pilot bearing, bearing retainer sleeve (old one was broken at the weld), clutch plate, and slave. My old girl still chirps but not so much so that I'm going to do anything about it. I know the bearings are okay (they're brand new Ford Racing) and I know my clutch is adjusted. I thought about doing the firewall adjuster crap but why would I do that when I know that it's going to wear my new TOB prematurely! Just live with the squeak.... it adds character! Right? Hahaha.

This is a REALLY old thread @NurseGuy but... the chirping is not good for the TOB. It's bouncing around against the pressure plate. In the stock configuration with the automatic adjuster, the TOB is actually always in contact with the pressure plate, that's why they wear out so quickly. When you put in an aftermarket adjustable cable or a firewall adjuster (removing the stock quadrant) and leave the recommended air-gap between the TOB and pressure plate, it'll bounce around and chirp. The solution for this is to put a return-spring over the cable between where it enters the housing and the fork. They used to make a kit for it, you'd have to make your own now. If your chirping disappears when you gently rest your foot on the clutch pedal, that'll take care of it.

I always buy the adjustable cable, because it's easier to put on. You can also adjust it from the bottom when you are looking right at it, instead of getting up and adjusting it at the top, and then having to jump back under the car to check it.

Kurt

According to MANY Ford folks I've spoken with ALLLLL say that the TOB is in fact supposed to sit lightly against the fingers. I was also told that by using the firewall adjuster, it in fact wears the bearing quicker than by leaving it as the factory intended it to be (this is a constant motion piece designed to be in continuous motion). I just don't know what to believe anymore. They say that there is supposed to be preload on it but then some say no......so can anyone show me in black and white where you are supposed to leave the TOB off of the fingers with this "air gap" and not preloaded?

quoted Killer95Stang:

"be careful with that solution... because it could end up costing you in the end... That chirp you heard indicates the TOB is bad... end of story... by you switching out the cable, and then tightening the cable till the chirp is gone is only masking the problem... and in the long run may cause more damage. How you ask? Well.. overtightening of the cable puts extra pressure on the thrust bearings on the crank.. Its kinda like driving with your foot over the clutch, kinda riding it all the time, but not having enough pressure to disengage the clutch... Ever notice how the chirp would stop when you would push in the clutch... hmm.. well that what's your doing by over tightening the cable... Still don't believe me.. call up a reputable engine builder, and ask how hard Ford SB's are on thrust bearings... Also, theirs a reason I have a new forged bottom end in my car.. I didn't know about over tightening the adjustable cable, and after a couple years like that, I had about 3/16" end play on my crank...."

Food for thought!!!

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user