Not a fox, but something new and interesting

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
So I've been working seven different projects lately, to include a 97 Ranger. I've done a whole lot of repair to it. It was in a good place until I randomly decided to do the plugs.
20190813_210752.jpg

So I found this gem. I've never had a plug break off the nut portion. Any ideas beyond dropping ceramic in the head, or removing the head.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Damn that’s a raw deal right there.
You can try a square drill bit extractor, some penetrating oil, and a couple beers.

Don’t forget the last thing.

Pushrod I'd love to, but the ceramic is still in the center. I'm doing my best not to drop into the cylinder. I've tried using the compression of the motor to blow it out and think I'll tap it with a punch a couple of times and see if it can carefully be separated.

Option 1: Attempt to defy gravity, and knock the ceramic loose without dropping portions of it into the block. Use a square extractor and pull the shell.

Option 2: Try and mig a nut to it. Honestly afraid the metal will just burn through and I'll have to pull the head.

Option 3: Just pull the head on a perfectly good running motor.

Option 4: Stare at it while consuming a beer, while hoping someone here has watched the full series of Macgyver and knows how to get it out.

HOW much force did it take to snap it? If considerable, my fear is the threads are really seized in there.

Is there anywhere to grab it with an extractor? Prob not.

Is it snapped flush? Do you have a closer pic to show exactly how much material you have to work with?

That’s a raw deal right there.

5l5 more force than should have been put on it to be truthful. Either they are the origional plugs, or put in with an impact. Definitely seized, but a keep hosing it down with penetrating spray. It didn't break completely flush, but there's not enough to use a bolt extractor. The ceramic is keeping from using an easy out, but I'm slowly getting frustrated enough to chance breaking it up. Unfortunately the ac dryer and angle of the opening won't allow me to get a much better picture.

Well, if the head needs to come off, I’d try breaking it up first.

I wonder if you can shoot compressed air into that cylinder from the intake to blow any chunks out while you are breaking it up?

Or just keep a shop vac in the area to suck it up while breaking it up

You know, you may have something. It's a 2.3 with 2 plugs per cylinder. I'm going to push air through the opposite plug hole, and attempt to break it up. Right on.

Reactions: 1 user