Oil Change Question - What Oil and Filter do YOU use?

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
I usually use Castrol GTX 10W30. I heard bad things about fram filters so I got a Quakerstate one this time.

Whats the best setup for our stangs? I have H/C/I and my car doesnt seem to burn oil. Is 10W30 a good choice? Are motorcraft filters junk, there pretty cheap?

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

I use Mobil 1 20/50 synthetic oil w/ Motorcraft oil filter. No problems here. It's basically up to you. I use Fram oil filters in my Chevy truck and haven't had problems w/ them. I guess I like that Motorcraft logo on the oil filter on a Ford. LOL
Mav

My car is now parked for winter, Im going to change the oil. Im not really going to drive it might fire it up 3 times or so and let it fully warm. SHOULD I CHANGE THE FILTER? I changed the oil and filter last time which wasnt tooo long ago.

Mobil 1 Drive Clean 10W-30. K&N offers two filters for 5.0L I got the big one I really don't reccomend it I used the smaller before. The big one barely clears the sway bar and is really a pain to get it in there espically with 1/2 quart of oil in the filter when you put it on.

95WhiteVenom said:
Mobil 1 Drive Clean 10W-30. K&N offers two filters for 5.0L I got the big one I really don't reccomend it I used the smaller before. The big one barely clears the sway bar and is really a pain to get it in there espically with 1/2 quart of oil in the filter when you put it on.
That's because you have a Cobra. You're supposed to use the shorter filter because of your oil cooler.

*someone correct me if I'm wrong

I have been using the K&N filter (HP3001) recently and today the damn filter started to spew out about a quart of oil while I let me car idle. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow to see why that hapenned. :notnice:

I was running Mobil 1 10w30 with the FL1-A motorcraft filter.

I am going to break in my motor with dino juice and a FL1-A with one of those micro mesh filters too. Then either Mobil 1 again or Amsoil and one of there filters or, Mobil 1 filter.

Red line oil in the t5 and 8.8 already.