oil in sparkplug holes?

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
Got a cloud of oil smoke in my cabin today after a tight left turn, pulled over and found little puddles of oil in the spark plug indentations in the head on the right side. My mom's Camry has this and it runs okay, but why does it occur and how can one fix it? My dad thinks it's a slightly loose plug that's letting oil from the cylinder through, but that would mean there's oil all the way up in the top of the combustion chamber which would mean I'm burning oil, which I don't believe I am, so....:shrug:

Ash

• Sponsors (?)

Have you recently changed your oil or added anymore to the engine? If so, you might have spilled some and let it run down to the plugs. If you know you arent burning oil that would be my guess.

I did change oil last weekend, but I'm pretty sure I didn't spill any...and wouldn't it have manifested itself before now? I'll check my oil cap tomorrow too. When it happened, I was on my way home and was gonna be late for work, so I haven't really looked at it yet. Hopefully something simple will show up tomorrow.

Ash

Yep, all bolts on the valve cover were loose. Tightened 'em down a little and drove down to Colorado Springs and back (about 200 miles today) and no more leakage. The littlest things....:rolleyes:

Ash