Oil is DRIPPING out of my upper intake manifold.....WHY?!??@!

So today I pull into my works parking lot and park my car and as soon as I turn the car of TONS of smoke start pouring out from under my hood. Im sick of things going wrong with this car so I basically said "welp, hope that doesnt catch on fire" and then went inside to work. When I got off, I took a look under there and saw oil on the back of my drivers side valve cover. I drove it home and took another look at it and after the car is hot, there was oil dripping, pretty constantly ,out of the vac. line fitting on the bottome of the upper intake. I have that vac. line fitting plug because I am not using it. Somehow oil got into the upper intake (pcv?) and maybe puddled up in the back of my intake. Any ideas what this could be? What should I check?

• Sponsors (?)

well, it sounds to me like you have a considerable amount of blowby. I have my motors ring gapped for NOS, and I have considerable more blowby than a stock motor. Its driving me nuts too, thinking of tearing it down in a few weekand and putting new rings in. In between time I have a steeda oil separator in it, but I have to drain it daily, which is a pain.

sure sounds like blow by to me. i had that big time. my #8 must have blown an oil ring or something. the oil was coming out of the spark plug hole and running down the side of the block. i was losing a quart every tankful.

that was when i decided to pull the blower off and stay n/a after rebuilding my engine.

Sounds like to me the RTV or cork (whatever you used) in the back of the intake is leaking. This is a common problem. Even greater on power adder cars. I had the catch can think rigged up and I was surprised how much oil came back that way. Never again will I have a power adder. Way to finicky.

You have a baffle in the lower adjacent the PCV valve, no?

How does the line from the CAI to the oil filler look? How about inside the CAI? If you have that much contamination in the primary leg of the PCV, you would likely be recruiting the secondary (return) leg of the PCV to also discharge crankcase vapors.

well, it sounds to me like you have a considerable amount of blowby. I have my motors ring gapped for NOS, and I have considerable more blowby than a stock motor. Its driving me nuts too, thinking of tearing it down in a few weekand and putting new rings in. In between time I have a steeda oil separator in it, but I have to drain it daily, which is a pain.
I just put one of those on a few weeks ago and it seems to work pretty well although I removed the little filter because it seemed to build pressure and blow the dipstick out of the tube when Id get on it.

Hopefully its not blowby again. I just pulled the vacuam cap off it again to see if anymore oil puddled up and a good amount poured out.

As for the lower intake gasket, how can that push oil up into the upper intake? Here is a pic of where it come out of when I pull that vac cap off. I just did a injector swap so my upper intake was off,

oilleak1.jpg

Attachments

• oilleak1.jpg
    oilleak1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 148
You have a baffle in the lower adjacent the PCV valve, no?

How does the line from the CAI to the oil filler look? How about inside the CAI? If you have that much contamination in the primary leg of the PCV, you would likely be recruiting the secondary (return) leg of the PCV to also discharge crankcase vapors.

Sure do, There is some oil inside my throttle body....

lol your sig pic shows a vortex; that is why i thought you were boosted

are any of the plugs more oily than the others?

have you done a compression test?

i ask because my #8 plug was very oily and my #8 compression test was 165 while the others were around 145. when i pulled that cylinder head off, oil was caked all over the compression chamber. i still don't know exactly what it was, but i'm guessing the oil ring blew.

i had similar symptoms as you, oil in the intake, but lots of it; i was losing a quart per tank (about 200 miles)

the motor will be pulled out sometime next week and i'll probably start the tear down after new years.

ds-head-001.jpg

Attachments

• ds-head-001.jpg
    ds-head-001.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 115
Yeah I used to have a Vortech. Ive done a compression check about 4 months ago and was around 160 all around. Then again, if that vac cap hadnt ripped I wouldnt have known that I had oil puddling up so I dont know if this just happened or if its been like that. Ive blown a piston before so I know what blowby is. The only reason why I think its something pcv related is because I have no other blowby symptoms like the dipstick popping out.

Yep same here I got oil in the TB too whats up with the crankcase ventilation system on these cars?I get about 2 oz. of oil in the oil strainer a week.:notnice:

You can generally thank low tension rings. I might guess you have a ways over 100K miles on the motor and run a lower viscosity oil (5 or 10W-30, etc).

I've always had a little oil get into the intake. Comes all the way back to the throttle body. Never figured out why. Two engines in a row, so it's definitely not blow by.

Kurt