DominickS

Jan 9, 2007
Not sure where to be asking this at but here goes
I was looking at oil pumps for 302 engine they have an OEM
a high pressure and a high volume this is going to be a 347 stroker
and I dont want her to starve oil

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I say run the high volume only if you plan on racing the engine if not a stock volume pump pushes enough oil in my opinion, I only run high volume pumps in mostly race engines, not street engines, if you do go with a high volume pump get a oil pan that holds 1 or 2 quarts more than stock or you will starve the bottom end.

The type of oil pump really depends on the clearances you build the motor at. If you stay with fairly tight clearances a stock pump will work just fine, M68.

It seems the thinking on this has changed a lot over the years.

When I had the shortblock built built for an engine in 1986, everyone said to put a high volume oil pump in it, so I did. That engine is still running fine in my 82, w/ 95k miles, and a couple hundred track passes. Oil pressure is still halfway up the stock gage. I have never had a numeric gage on it. This engine has always had 10W40.

Advice changed to using a standard oil pump, but I still put the same Melling HV pump in the new engine in my Capri in 2000. I assembled this one, worked on by a different, and much more performance oriented machine shop, and it has very tight bearing clearances, and it has the stock oil gage pegged 99% of the time. Hot, at idle it drops to 2/3s. I had to switch back to 10W30 on this one. I don't remember exactly, but mains at .002 or less, by plastigage.

I used the Ford Racing pump driveshaft in both, and would recommend it in any engine. Both engines have stock 5.0 oil pans.

So, I would say the standard pump would be fine, and free up some hp.