DominickS

Jan 9, 2007
Not sure where to be asking this at but here goes
I was looking at oil pumps for 302 engine they have an OEM
a high pressure and a high volume this is going to be a 347 stroker
and I dont want her to starve oil

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I say run the high volume only if you plan on racing the engine if not a stock volume pump pushes enough oil in my opinion, I only run high volume pumps in mostly race engines, not street engines, if you do go with a high volume pump get a oil pan that holds 1 or 2 quarts more than stock or you will starve the bottom end.

It seems the thinking on this has changed a lot over the years.

When I had the shortblock built built for an engine in 1986, everyone said to put a high volume oil pump in it, so I did. That engine is still running fine in my 82, w/ 95k miles, and a couple hundred track passes. Oil pressure is still halfway up the stock gage. I have never had a numeric gage on it. This engine has always had 10W40.

Advice changed to using a standard oil pump, but I still put the same Melling HV pump in the new engine in my Capri in 2000. I assembled this one, worked on by a different, and much more performance oriented machine shop, and it has very tight bearing clearances, and it has the stock oil gage pegged 99% of the time. Hot, at idle it drops to 2/3s. I had to switch back to 10W30 on this one. I don't remember exactly, but mains at .002 or less, by plastigage.

I used the Ford Racing pump driveshaft in both, and would recommend it in any engine. Both engines have stock 5.0 oil pans.

So, I would say the standard pump would be fine, and free up some hp.