Engine Oil temperature gauge?

Macktenn

Mar 21, 2020
Alberta
Just bought a GlowShift oil temp gauge and looking to put it in my car, engine is an 83. I’m wondering what my options are I’ve looked for T fittings so I can keep my stock gauges working but i haven’t been able to find anything.... if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There should be a spot on the drivers side of the block towards the front. It's where the oil pressure sender is screwed in. I think its 1/4 inch regular NPT pipe thread. The factory uses and extension in that location ( not sure about earlier cars but 87 - 93 have an extension. A t fitting can be screwed it there for the temp sensor. Steel pipe from the hardware store has been used by some to make an extension. I've personally seen one of those crack on a customers car so I'd never use basic pipe.

Here's a link to the extension. A brass T from Lowes or HD will work.

Depending on how resourceful you are you could drill and tap a factory extension....or have a machine shop or machinist do it for you.

If it were me I'd want oil temperature from the oil pan. That would require a bung welded in.

Are you auto crossing or racing this car ?

The oil temp gauge sender needs to sit in an oil bath, which means that it needs to sit in the oil pan. Oil in the pressure gauge plumbing does not circulate so it does not provide an accurate indication of the actual oil temp. The later model 5.0's had an oil quantity sensor in the driver's side of the oil pan sump. If you had one of those, oil pans, you could mount the oil temp sender in that fitting.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
There should be a spot on the drivers side of the block towards the front. It's where the oil pressure sender is screwed in. I think its 1/4 inch regular NPT pipe thread. The factory uses and extension in that location ( not sure about earlier cars but 87 - 93 have an extension. A t fitting can be screwed it there for the temp sensor. Steel pipe from the hardware store has been used by some to make an extension. I've personally seen one of those crack on a customers car so I'd never use basic pipe.

Here's a link to the extension. A brass T from Lowes or HD will work.

Depending on how resourceful you are you could drill and tap a factory extension....or have a machine shop or machinist do it for you.

If it were me I'd want oil temperature from the oil pan. That would require a bung welded in.

Are you auto crossing or racing this car ?
Okay I’ll look into it thank you. It’s a street car, go to the track Every once and a while but it’s not it’s sole purpose, around 350rwhp. Nothing crazy but enough to compete with newer model cars

Reactions: 1 user