Engine Oil To Use On An Engine Rebuild??

I was wondering if I should be using a certain type of oil on a head,cam, intake rebuild??
I had a trickflow H/C/I kit installed and put new ford lifters in also. The car is a 1993 GT. 5.0. I put royal purple 10W-30 synthetic oil in it. Is there a different oil I should be using instead with doing the engine rebuild?? I am getting a little ticking noise, sounds like one of the lifters. My mechanic said he soaked them in oil before installing them. He is gonna also check for an exhaust leak and possible intake leak?

Thanks for any info!!

• Sponsors (?)

Was the entire motor rebuilt (rings and bearings)? If so, the motor should be broken in using conventional oil. Once everything is broken in, 10w-3o synthetic is fine to use. Once the engine is run for a little while, the lifters should fill up with oil.

Joe

Was the entire motor rebuilt (rings and bearings)? If so, the motor should be broken in using conventional oil. Once everything is broken in, 10w-3o synthetic is fine to use. Once the engine is run for a little while, the lifters should fill up with oil.

Joe

+1

Good practice is to run conventional on the new rebuild for 50-100 miles then change the oil. Inspect the used oil and cut open the filter and look for metal shavings (signs of failed bearings or thrashed parts). Repeat at 500-1000 miles if you are so inclined. If all is good fill it with whatever oil you want and run it.

Reactions: 1 user

Joe

Hi Joe,

It was the top end only, no lower end work. Heads, cam, intake, new lifters, pushrods,etc.

Thank you