Ok, put on the new converters...car still booms between 2000-2500..idea..

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
It's much better but still goes right down inside the eardrum ever since the head change. The car came from the factory with one muffler longer than the other...I have 2 chamber delta flows..so what if I buy one different muffler..like a 3 chamber for the other side.? Could this mess the engine up with two slightly different backpressures?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Due to the exhaust cadence, you will not have even backpressure in both mufflers. You are right that the stock mufflers were of different lengths to compensate for the body resonance (drone) that is so common.

I would make sure that you dont have any pipes touching anything while driving. I have seen 'drone' come from a tailpipe (this was on a fox) hitting the passenger side frame rail). It would happen in the drone zone but was much worse than drone.

Have you considered talkin to some exhaust vendors? I wonder if an additional resonator or something would help. :shrug:

Good luck bud.

Have you considered talkin to some exhaust vendors? I wonder if an additional resonator or something would help.

I was thinking the same. When I used to work in a shop, most of the big luxury cars had small resonators on them. Back in the RWD days, with 400+ CI engines. They looked no more restrictive than a glasspack style muffler. I remember the resonators were not cheap, and people would frequently tell us to skip it on the new exhaust system to save money. There was a very noticeable difference in the sound, so I know they do work. But is this an affordable option? That I do not know.

Thanks for the comments guys. Fortunately (or unfortunately in this case) I have the BEST exhaust guys around do all my work. They are like artists. I went to this one place that wanted to charge me $300 to weld 2 flows..they charged me $50 and NO leaks or rattles or touching. They even custom made the hangers.

The resonator is an idea...probably could use a glass pack..I have even thought of getting higher or lower gears to get me outta the drone in my normal driving range of speeds..3.73 or 3.23..don't get 3.55's if you like to drive 70-80mph HWY.

ok geek i will tell you that a combination has worked for me. 1.i put a sound proofing material from from my front seats all the way back into the trunk. 2.check my thread on killing the drone,those little devices really worked. 3. After much thought I figured the resonance chamber was up inside just above the back axle where the tail pipes roll up and can play against each other in that half drum cavity...I riveted a brnd new 4$ rubber backed thow rug inverted up into it..BINGO, I could hear my trans gears whiining up again..sweet sound. I allso sprayed a n under coating up above the drive shaft back by the mufflers...its like ya this is what I want.

chefster said:
ok geek i will tell you that a combination has worked for me. 1.i put a sound proofing material from from my front seats all the way back into the trunk. 2.check my thread on killing the drone,those little devices really worked. 3. After much thought I figured the resonance chamber was up inside just above the back axle where the tail pipes roll up and can play against each other in that half drum cavity...I riveted a brnd new 4$ rubber backed thow rug inverted up into it..BINGO, I could hear my trans gears whiining up again..sweet sound. I allso sprayed a n under coating up above the drive shaft back by the mufflers...its like ya this is what I want.

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. I'll try anything, lol.:nice:

Methodical, I dunno, my drone goes right down inside my eardrums and vibrates my medula or something. Me no likee. My car was just fine with the super turbos and factory heads. When I went to TW heads she got louder.