OK what is the best mod us year round Blower,super,Turbo?

OK what is the best mod use year round Blower,super,Turbo?

I was just want to know what other people think is good to use on the street. I have a 289 with just a Cam and intake and headers. I was thinking of going the Twin Turbo but I dont know I think It would also be cool to have a blower sticking out of the hood going around town. I will build my motor up befor I do anything major.

• Sponsors (?)

twin turbos are difinately the coolest...centrifugal superchargers are next but they are probably the best because they are almost as efficient as turbos, but are significantly less expensive.

just my opinion, but hole in the hood blowers are becoming obsolete.

nitrous? think about this...you can add nitrous to a blown car, but you cant blow a nitrous car.

This is a good question... I suspect there are as many answers as there are people with project cars. With that in mind, you should consider what you think you'd want on a daily basis.

A blower (turbo or supercharger) is a good way to add "always on" power, but it comes with a price (like more fuel consumption, being more tempermental usually, more maintenance, etc.).

Nitrous is a good choice for "only on occasion" power increases, which can provide a quick thrill, but again, it comes at a price (the cost of filling the bottle, careful tuning, not good to use in most day to day driving situations, etc.).

Other things to consider are things that increase drivability and real world "fun", basically things that improve the tempermentality and thrill-ability of your car (especially torque, which is the thing that probably provides the most "fun" in day to day situations). Things like choosing good heads, switching to fuel injection, steeper rear gears, steeper tranny gears, etc... This is how I'm thinking with my own car (though I'm still not really close).

JMHO... :shrug:

I agree with customperforman and buddha on just about everything. I can't speak from experience as my car isn't blown, but I do look through the power adder forum a lot and here's what I've gotten out of it. A twin turbo setup would be the best for a street, daily driver setup, but would be very expensive to install. A twin turbo will spool up much faster than a single large turbo, which would be better for a street car where you want power fast and won't be getting into higher RPMs.

For S/Cs, I've heard great things about the Kenny Belle for street applications. It's a screw type, which is constantly spinning at full speed, therefore giving you instant power and tons of torque. However, the KB or other screw types tend to be quite expensive. Centerfugial (sp) builds up as your engine RPM increases, so would be better for race applications, but is also much cheaper.

Personally I wouldn't want an out of hood blower. Seems like it would be a lot more prone to bad weather (could be wrong), and for some reason I don't really like the look on an old stang, I think it looks much better on a Nova or Chevelle. Not that it makes them look anywhere as nice as a Stang...but you know

Also, take into account the kind of boost you want to be running. The more boost you run the more it turns into "reliable and dependable" and more into "high maintenance and dangerous".

check out the Power Adder forum.

65stang289 said:
I will build my motor up befor I do anything major.

Better make up your mind before you build your motor!!
You will need low compression Forged pistons or it will Knock and go BOOM
A blower cam no higher than 112 to 114 lobe center
Good rods like I beams

heres my opinion...

superchargers can be for daily driven cars just as well as turbos.. I personally would not a roots type supercharger sticking out of teh hood because of people thta have no respect. Its to easy for someone to come along and mess with your carbs. Tuning on a blower motor like that isnt the easist either. I would follow the fox body guys and opt for a centrifugal setup on a fuel injected motor.

Turbo motors are great too.. Im getting ready to do my turbo setup. With a turbo setup you must be prepared to to a lot of metal fabrication or be prepared to bend over for a custom setup. All the induction tubing will have to be custom bent or cut and welded. I think with a turbo setup (especially when there is no kit for it) is going to be a question of skills and time.

Juice.... I dunno... I mean, its cool to say " I have naawwwwsss" but its only power when you ahve your bottle filled.

How much are you planning on a setup? I would just suggest dropping a 302 in it instead of using the 289. Buy a forged shorblock either way you go.

65stang289 said:
I was just want to know what other people think is good to use on the street. I have a 289 with just a Cam and intake and headers. I was thinking of going the Twin Turbo but I dont know I think It would also be cool to have a blower sticking out of the hood going around town. I will build my motor up befor I do anything major.

I'm running a centrifugal supercharger on the street. I really enjoy it.
I think it's a really good street power adder.
Turbocharging on the street is a very practical option also.
I would ask myself what I intend to do with the car--daily drive, weekend romps-second car, and build accordingly. Most of us know how expensive our project can get when we start doing things over, and twice.
As far as a Roots style blower sticking out of the hood, there is usually a different drivability when boosting with a positive displacement supercharger, unless you tone it down with gears, tires, etc. But that's no fun.
If your plans are to use and drive the car in a brutal street kind of a way, Roots superchargers KICK BUTT! Under the right tune, you'll be pushed back into the seat hard at even moderate throttle advances. But,.....you'll probably have to run a lower compression, and better quality fuel, because of higher inlet temps. I had to years ago.
Also, gone is the sleeper effect.
Twin turbo is probably the most expensive, unless you plan on doing most of the fabrication.

I'm getting blown and injected. Using a Vortech because mostly all road racers that have supercharger use Vortech, they abuse the car for 30 minutes at a time instead of 10 seconds down the track and Vortech's last.

I have been planing my set up for years.

Little break down. All going into the fastback

ported rpm intake, 70 mm tb, 42 lb injectors, 80 mm Lighting maf, crower cam .498 I .512 E, 1.6 rr's, 4 inch power pipe, 12 psi boost vortech sq trim capable of 20 psi, shorty un equal headers to build a little back pressure to produce more boost.

Heads well I have a set of systemax heads new but I'm looking to sell them and get bigger heads. I got these when I was planning to stick to an NA set up.

I even picked up a tweecer to tune it all.

I really want magazine time when I'm done. ..........daydreaming.

Fostang said:
shorty un equal headers to build a little back pressure to produce more boost.

That sounds like a blast!
I noticed the above quote in your signature.
How does an increase in back pressure help build boost with a centrifugal supercharger?

Oh.
I have to disagree.
It's advantageous to scavenge past the exhaust seat as efficently as possible, without inducing the intake charge past the exhaust valve during valve overlap.
Usually this is done by selection of a suitable camshaft lobe separation angle. I have not heard of impeading cylinder scavenge flow as a means of increasing the intake charge pressure. The idea is to get the charge flowing as fast as possible, to fill the cylinder as quickly as possible.
Actually boost psi is a resistance to flow. The higher the pressure or manifold pressure reading, the higher the resistance to flow is incurred.

No flame intended.

Non taken.

It was told to me by a pretty good engine builder. On the other hand turbos from what I know would benefit from what you have said. Thats why most turbo'd cars have 3 inch exhaust systems first mod done to the SVO was this.

OK so right now Iam going with a 302 block and building it up to a 347. So superchargers sound like the way to go. The car right now is a daily driver I love driven it everyday. So this car will be just for the weekends and for now but I want to drive it at least once during the week with no problems.

Will the supercharger fit under a 3inch cowl hood because thats what I have on the car now. I will be doing all the Fab work because Iam going to WyoTech and this will be my 1st project as soon as I get done with the school. I would like the car to run off of 93octan.

Your asking a lot from us. We may be able to point you in the right direction but the work is up to you and we aren't sure of your skill level. I suggest you read up on the subject before starting or buying anything.

347 supercharged that runs on 93 octane yes it can be done. The key is boost and compression.

BTW stroked and blown on a stock block IMO is a big no no. At least get a sportsman block but for 500 more you could find a DART which is what I'm looking at getting. Then of course you still need to find a tranny and rear to take that kind of abuse.

65stang289 said:
OK so right now Iam going with a 302 block and building it up to a 347. So superchargers sound like the way to go.
Will the supercharger fit under a 3inch cowl hood because thats what I have on the car now. I would like the car to run off of 93octan.

I feel that the 331 cid stroked small block is a much better base to supercharge.
Of the 347s we've done, not too may of them last very long if they are punished.
The rod ratio and piston speed get of the 347 doesn't take the pounding of boost as well and the rod bearings get hammered. The 331 doesn't have quite the stroke of the 347, and doesn't put such an angular load on the lower end.
In other words, the 331 holds up better to boost. Believe me, you won't be able to feel the difference of power between the two boosted engines.
Yes, you can fit a centrifugal S/C under a 3" cowl hood with ease, depending on the intake used. My 351W was under the stock hood of a 68 with an RPM Performer intake with 1/4' clearance. BTW..carbureted blow through with a short bonnet. Now with a 4" bonnet under a 67 shelby fiberglass hood.
93 octane safely is no problem. Retard the total ignition timing to about 28 degrees, and you'll be fine,(with about a 8.5 compression or so).
Fostang mentioned about stroked and blown.....
It's not that big of deal if you use the right components.
I'm with a 69 351W block stroked to 393 with 9lbs of boost now, but it is girdled.
The real question is "how greedy do you think you're going to get with the boost"
The 302 is not that strong of a block. As we now, they tend to spilt right down the middle. Make sure it's at least a Mexican 302 with higher nickel content.
The Tremec 3550 5sp is taking the 564 RWHP and 597 RWTQ without any issues.
Although after snapping 2 aluminum 3" driveshafts, I upgraded the output shaft to the TKO 31 spine as a precaution.
The rearend is 31sp Currie with a 9+ center section-no issues.
Keeping clutches alive was the trick until I installed a SPEC.
I drive the car sometimes throughout the week if the weather's good.

Why stroke it when you can blow it? Thats kinda at the piont I'm at.

I already have the supercharger and looking for a shortblock but now I think I can save some money if I just get a nicely built 302 and just add more boost. In the end it'll make the same power of the 347 if given enought boost, cheaper, and I won't be afraid of splitting the block as quickly as I have been told you will with a 347.