One Click Sound/No Crank When Engine Temps Are Warm

#16Stang

15 Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
1995 GTS will CLICK ONCE and NO CRANK when the ENGINE TEMPS are WARM. She has 120k on the clock.

FWIW

- Battery Volts are within range
- Grounds appear GTG
- Starter visually looks fine

I am not sure if this will help but she sat for 4 months awaiting for ported parts to return, and the battery was on a trickle charger.
With that said, I just reinstalled the ported lower/upper intake manifold, ported headers, and the ported TB.

I have heard these starters are garbage, so that is what I am leaning towards. What y'all think?

Any help is much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I think I look pretty fine too but my internals may be sketchy, do the 'no cranks' list

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Likely just the starter solenoid getting heat-soaked from the nearby headers, or its contacts are just worn, or a combination of the two. You have a 27 year old car so a worn-out solenoid is pretty common, not exactly what I'd call 'garbage.' You could tinker to see if you could disassemble and clean the solenoid contacts, and if your headers are really close consider some heat-shielding, otherwise it's probably new starter time (brighter side they're relatively inexpensive). Hopefully you're not in the rust-belt like me, those bolts will have welded themselves to the aluminum pretty solidly by now if you are.