oops!

johnnyt03gt

5 Year Member
Mar 15, 2008
dallas TX
so ive noticed lately lots of white smoke coming from the front of my stang also consuming alot of oil thought it was an oil leek turned out i forgot to put the oil cap back on after oil chang last week now my engine bay looks like an OPIC disaster lol :doh:
please tell me im not the only idiot who's done this so i can feel like less of a dumb ÀSS

• Sponsors (?)

Well, at first I was going to roast you for your stupidity but then I remembered the time I left the coolant cap loose and drove around until my car overheated...

:lol: I did something like that in my first car in high school. That piece o' junk was a bitch to start in the winter so we'd put a dipstick heater in it overnight to give it half a chance of starting. One morning I forgot to put the dipstick back in after pulling the heater out. I went to pick up a friend on the way to school and we were about halfway to school when smoke started pouring through the countless rust holes and decayed grommets in the firewall. My buddy was sure my car had finally caught on fire and was ready to jump out before I could even get it stopped. I pulled over and popped the hood and oil was everywhere - completely covering the underside of the hood and all over the drivers-side of the engine bay, from top to bottom. Then I saw the dipstick still laying there on the lip of the fender where I'd left it :D It took some work to convince my friend that the car wasn't on fire and it was safe to continue.

Not in my car. I did it once in my granddad's 86 F-250 with a 351 HO (not the oil cap, but the dipstick anyway), although he was the one that left it off and told me to go drive it. Thanks to the fact that the dipstick on those motors is the better part of the 1/4 mile long, oil didn't get on anything.

-Will

:lol: I did something like that in my first car in high school. That piece o' junk was a bitch to start in the winter so we'd put a dipstick heater in it overnight to give it half a chance of starting. One morning I forgot to put the dipstick back in after pulling the heater out. I went to pick up a friend on the way to school and we were about halfway to school when smoke started pouring through the countless rust holes and decayed grommets in the firewall. My buddy was sure my car had finally caught on fire and was ready to jump out before I could even get it stopped. I pulled over and popped the hood and oil was everywhere - completely covering the underside of the hood and all over the drivers-side of the engine bay, from top to bottom. Then I saw the dipstick still laying there on the lip of the fender where I'd left it :D It took some work to convince my friend that the car wasn't on fire and it was safe to continue.

LOL on my old fox i was taking a sharp turn the passenger door came open my brother was
ejected no seatbelt and no passenger seat just a 5gallon bucket luckily he was ok 10mph it took him years to get back in that car :spit:

LOL on my old fox i was taking a sharp turn the passenger door came open my brother was
ejected no seatbelt and no passenger seat just a 5gallon bucket luckily he was ok 10mph it took him years to get back in that car :spit:

5 gallon bucket... what could go wrong! When they say 'bucket seat' that's not what they mean.

I'll give you another one - this one wasn't me but I had a friend who was going to school here and he was living in the dorms and didn't have access to much in the way of tools and stuff so I told him he could use my driveway to change his oil in his 'Stang and I had catch pans and whatever else he needed. So he brings it over and we jack it up a little 'cause it's too low too even get the drain plug out and he gets the oil draining, changes out the oil filter and checks out some stuff up top while he's waiting for the last little bit of oil to finish running out. Then he proceeds to dump 6 qts of brand new, fresh and expensive Mobile 1 straight through the motor and out the bottom of the oil pan and on to my driveway :rlaugh: After he got the last quart in, he realizes he forgot to put the plug back in. Then he sheepishly asked me if I could drive him up to the parts store to get some more oil (and a bag of kitty litter).

When I was 16, I drove our company dumptruck about 10 miles and it blew up. Turns out the oil fill cap wasn't on.

Then when I was about 26, I blew up another Ford motor in a company box truck. It was Friday afternoon, I was tired, wanting to get home and get drunk. Had the windows down and music blaring. Didn't realise I had the thing in 2nd (automatic) as opposed to "D"...

Was plodding along at 65-70 on a freeway: KA-CHUNK.

Pulled over, popped the hood. Got to see something reminiscent of a horror film. Oil/water (looked like a mix of every fluid in it, I think there may even have been some pee in it) oozing out of the air filter box...

Needless to say, I didn't get home for another 3 hours after that, but the booze tasted better.

When I was 16, I drove our company dumptruck about 10 miles and it blew up. Turns out the oil fill cap wasn't on.

Then when I was about 26, I blew up another Ford motor in a company box truck. It was Friday afternoon, I was tired, wanting to get home and get drunk. Had the windows down and music blaring. Didn't realise I had the thing in 2nd (automatic) as opposed to "D"...

Was plodding along at 65-70 on a freeway: KA-CHUNK.

Pulled over, popped the hood. Got to see something reminiscent of a horror film. Oil/water (looked like a mix of every fluid in it, I think there may even have been some pee in it) oozing out of the air filter box...

Needless to say, I didn't get home for another 3 hours after that, but the booze tasted better.

You didn't notice you were cruising at, like, 4000 RPMs? :rlaugh: You were cranking the tunes, weren't you!

I've not done anything quite as bad yet. We'll wait for alzheimers for those occasions, so I have something to blame it on. When I had the rear end done on my current 'Stang, I drove her home from the shop very excited, only to smell the horrible aroma of gear oil once I got home. Looked under the car and the whole gas tank area was COVERED in my gear oil. Turns out, the tard at the shop forgot to put the fill plug back in my girdle. Had them tow it back and redo everything.

One big oops I did was when I had an 89 F150 with a 302. It leaked a lot of oil, so I was putting in at least two quarts to a tank of gas. The filler neck on that thing is a task to get oil into without a funnel. I was trying to pour a quart in once, and ended up fumbling the quart and dumped at least half of the quart all over the exhaust manifold. Went in and got a paper funnel and proceded to pour half of that quart in the same spot, since the funnel decided to come apart on the side. Smokey mess!

Oil filter gasket on a K&N oil filter blew into 3 pieces after changing oil (yes, the gasket was oiled). Dumped about 5 quarts of Mobil 1 on the driveway. It sounded like the car was taking a huuuuuuge watery bowel movement. Now it's Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 filters.

Anyone that says they have never done something like that is one of two things, a lier, or hasn't worked on a car long enough. **** happens and stuff slips your mind. Don't beat yourself up too bad.

+1 I cant even remember all the stupid **** ive done...

lol one time while working on my rear breaks i lowered the rear end down from the jackstands without putting the wheels back on...luckily i did it slow enough that when i realized what i was doing the rotor shields had just touched the ground...i felt soooooooooo stupid hahhahhah