options for fixing exhaust rattle on Xpipe?

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
Pasadena, MD
this is driving me crazy now. my Pypes (mustangtuning) catted x is hittin on the drivers side part of my transmission crossmember. when i first installed it, it rattled constantly. since then i had a friend grind off part of the portion that was hitting on the pipe. it helped some, but it still rattled under load. there's only about 1/4" clearance. it is really annoying.

what are my options to fix this? the design of the pipe allows me to twist the drivers side pipe (it's a 2 piece). so im thinking i can cut the pipe before where it meets the manifold, turn the pipe to the lower portion will clear the crossmemer, and have it welded back up. would this work? can they weld onto aluminized steel? is there a better option? thanks! :(

• Sponsors (?)

Ry, Can you take a picture of the installation and e-mail it to me? there should be no clearance issues on the crossover. Twisting the lh part of the X may solve your problem. The seal at the header may be a little off causing the pipe to sit a little too high. Also consider adjusting your flow tubes. You should never have to cut or bend any of our Mustang crossovers.

pypesexhaust said:
Ry, Can you take a picture of the installation and e-mail it to me? there should be no clearance issues on the crossover. Twisting the lh part of the X may solve your problem. The seal at the header may be a little off causing the pipe to sit a little too high. Also consider adjusting your flow tubes. You should never have to cut or bend any of our Mustang crossovers.
i will take a pic the next time i get under the car.

as far as the installation is concerned. the friend i had install it is a professional and owns a shop. i was under the car even helping him out and it is lined up correctly. the manifold seal is tight (we used airtools). when i drove it home, i kept thinking that it's really alot louder than i thought. then i looked under and it had about 1/8" clearance between the pipe and the crossmember. i then took it back to the same shop and we tried to fix it....

when trying to fix it i saw that i could possibly turn the pipe counter-clockwise so that it'll bring the rear section of the pipe downward (even looking at it at level, i saw the driver side pipe was higher than the pass. side). when we loosed both sections of the pipe (between the manifold and the drivers side connection right after the cat) i pulled it down. the problem with that was, when i tried to put the clamp back on the 2 studs on the manifold, the one side would not go on. as much as i tried (well, me and the mechanic) we could not get it on both holes with the pipe positioned lower than before. the only way it would go on the holes is if the pipe was higher up against the floorboard. my buddy then ground down a section of the crossmember. this gave it about 1/4" clearance but it still rattles under load, and unfortunatly its a very loud tapping when it does.

the problem in this case is the measurement of the holes connecting the pipe to the manifood on the left side. if they were about 1/4" wider, then i could've gotten it on both holes with the pipe lower and clearing the crossmember.

any ideas? thank you for reading.

and dont get me wrong. i love the pipe. everything else about it is great and i love the sound. fitment everywhere else was great. but that rattle is driving me nuts though. thanks again, sorry for the long post.

the only pic i have right now (if it's still on my computer) is a picture of the clearance between the pipe and the crossmember.

here is all i have at the moment man. you'll see what i'm talkin about (this is before he grinded it down some)

dsc00144_large.jpg

This may not be the "correct" way but when I have exhaust clearence problems its nothing that a little massaging with a ball-peen hammer can not fix. I am not talking about beating the hell out of thing but a couple good place hits where you have no more adjustment left has always worked for me. I had that same problem with a bbk O/R H-pipe I use to run and the flowmaster catback on my cobra where it would rattle against the UCA, a little work with the hammer fixed it all though.

pypesexhaust said:
I need to show the pic to one of our Mustang Tech guys tomorrow. In the meantime, here are pics of our 94 installation which should be almost identical to your installation. Maybe these pics can help you see something.

94 GT install pics
i will get a pic to you as soon as i can. but from looking at the pics in the link. my drivers side pipe is outside farther, and hence hitting on the outter edge of the crossmember.