Progress Thread Oregon Pace Car Story to Coolness

Planning ahead: How do I know how much paint is required? I have a sun roof. I figure 3 quarts which ends up at 1.5 gallons should do it. Complete body; engine compartment, door jams, inside the body etc. Since I am asking. What color engine would look good? Basic Ford blue? I am cleaning the engine compartment up, filling unused holes, making panels smooth, that sort of thing. Oh one more thing. I have a set of Edelbrock Alum valve covers. Have had them for years in a box. Finally opened the box and.......I find the hole around the oil cap has some broken bits. IS there something that would repair this without worrying about it melting and have the bits fall off into the head? When I put the parts into the head, the cracks do not show. Hate to throw them away. Thanks muchly, Larry. Getting very warm here. Pugsly has found a new place out of the sun to sleep all day outside..
Got pics of the covers where the damage is?

• Sponsors (?)

Planning ahead: How do I know how much paint is required? I have a sun roof. I figure 3 quarts which ends up at 1.5 gallons should do it. Complete body; engine compartment, door jams, inside the body etc. Since I am asking. What color engine would look good? Basic Ford blue? I am cleaning the engine compartment up, filling unused holes, making panels smooth, that sort of thing. Oh one more thing. I have a set of Edelbrock Alum valve covers. Have had them for years in a box. Finally opened the box and.......I find the hole around the oil cap has some broken bits. IS there something that would repair this without worrying about it melting and have the bits fall off into the head? When I put the parts into the head, the cracks do not show. Hate to throw them away. Thanks muchly, Larry. Getting very warm here. Pugsly has found a new place out of the sun to sleep all day outside..
I am thinking 1.5 gallons should definitely do the car, the more experienced painters will pitch in. By the way, 3 quarts is 3/4 of a gallon. Unless you meant to mix 1:1 with thinner

Sorry, that higher level math gets me every time. So 3 quarts plus thinner and harder should be about one gallon?? Attached, find the valve cover showing the broken bits. I put the bits in. Larry

Attachments

• Valve Cover one.jpg
    Valve Cover one.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Valve Cover Two.jpg
    Valve Cover Two.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 79
RIMS: I am starting on several projects before painting the body. Attache find the rims I purchased for my five bolt conversion. 16 Inch OEM Mustang rims. I really do like these. Have OEM Mustang spinners. I also have the OEM 79 rims that came with the Pace Car. Both sets need to be restored. So, as I have been convinced to use the stock color, should I stay with the stock rims? I like the stock rims, but with changing the color though I should change the rims. Lots or work redoing either, so the answer is??? Larry
What did those come OEM on?

The rims were OEM on the 2005 thru 2009. Paint dealer said the PPG paint is a 1:1 mix. 3 Qts should do it. I have a sun roof which takes up half the roof. My wife wants me to paint the rims using black trim and keeping each spoke with the center the silver they come with. Have the center spinners with Mustangs. Larry

OEM rear louvers are like gold, hard to find, I snatched up a hatch with them still on it so I got everything factory, been looking forever!
I'm kinda on the fence when it comes to used carbs, are you looking for something oem like the holley unit or something newer?
You may sneek over to foureyedpride.com

I have an OEM louver for my Pace Car unless I get an outstanding offer. Anyway, just looking for something simple, like a Holly 650 or there abouts. Again, only building a show car and fun driver. Next project follows., Larry

New project. Starting to repair and paint all the trim pieces. Starting with the center spoiler. I want to put a third brake light . Attached, find my two options. One is full length, the other is the center section only. I will be cutting the top section and placing the light bar in the spoiler and finishing to look as OEM as possible. I prefer the center only but just in case the world is saying something else, I though I would ask.
Center Center only.jpg
Center Full.jpg

I’m gonna reserve judgement on this till you get it done, but in my mind i’m thinking it’s gonna look like a double sided taped on accessory from AZ.
The cheese factor that will add to the rear of the car won’t be worth the perceived safety it’ll add.

* Then you’ll have those holes to patch should you change your mind.

At least thats how I think it’ll be. Could be wrong.

A third brake light don’t care where it is on the back of the car. If I was doing it, it’d be inside the back glass as high mounted as possible so that it catches the driver behind you right in his line of sight. There’s probably some kit out there that adheres to the glass from the inside that will do that that doesn’t require drilling holes in a 79 rear spoiler.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
If you're set on putting it in the spoiler, then go with the center one. But at car shows, it will stand out whereas one inside the car blends in better.

Reactions: 1 user