Outnumbered By Idiots

Looking up engine weights, seems a EFi 302 weighs about 450#?

Just looked online and found an ecoboost 2.3L weight spec at 449# dry? Seems heavy no?

Finding a coyote 5.0 in a boneyard for cheap is probably never going to happen. One comes in and a yard owner sees $$$. You might have better luck finding ecoboost TT 3.5's as they stuffed that engine in explorers, police Taurus, ford flex, MKS, F150, etc. But finding ecoboost 2.0's and 2.3's might even be easier and cheaper. That ecoboost 2.3L is putting down what? 310HP? Hopefully it weighs a lot less than 450#

The weights that I have seen for Eco motors have been for the kits. The kits include:

Engine Kit Includes:
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Front accessory drive and belt
  • Air cleaner assembly and ducting
  • Flexplate/flywheel

Do you know of the weight you saw was with accessories?

• Sponsors (?)

You could get the 2.7l eco for even less. It's there new fleet engine. When I was shopping for my f150 70% of there inventory was the 2.7

325hp and 375tq

I know these are crank numbers but the potential is there for sure. Especially with the twin turbos. Hell I bet with just a tune this thing could belt out 400/450

just sayin,, $4k for an almost new Coyote Motor.

tempted to buy this myself but where to hide it from the wife :thinking:

upload_2017-1-4_23-21-5.png

Looking up engine weights, seems a EFi 302 weighs about 450#?

Just looked online and found an ecoboost 2.3L weight spec at 449# dry? Seems heavy no?

Finding a coyote 5.0 in a boneyard for cheap is probably never going to happen. One comes in and a yard owner sees $$$. You might have better luck finding ecoboost TT 3.5's as they stuffed that engine in explorers, police Taurus, ford flex, MKS, F150, etc. But finding ecoboost 2.0's and 2.3's might even be easier and cheaper. That ecoboost 2.3L is putting down what? 310HP? Hopefully it weighs a lot less than 450#
Coyotes are under $3k in the yards now.

Reactions: 1 user
If I can get any one of the "eco boost three" that you guys are citing examples of should the Monster engine catastrophically fail, I'd be more than willing to accept the 2.7L's power numbers as perfect for a street car. Even better when you consider that a Fairmont Futura, and a Mustang Notch are significantly less than 3000 pounds.

Reactions: 1 users
You're forgetting about the machine guns.
Right now, with all things considered,....(all of the intercooler tubing,..tucked electronics, A2W I/C stuffed under the fenders) I just couldn't make my set of M1919A brownings fit into the recesses I'd have to accommodate for the weapons
1919%20x3%20In%20the%20White.jpg

Maybe w/ an EB2.0,...I'd have enough room to reconfigure?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If I can get any one of the "eco boost three" that you guys are citing examples of should the Monster engine catastrophically fail, I'd be more than willing to accept the 2.7L's power numbers as perfect for a street car. Even better when you consider that a Fairmont Futura, and a Mustang Notch are significantly less than 3000 pounds.

Why stop there. Give it a few years for some MKZ's, Contintentals, and Navigators to get wrecked, and you can have a pretty good selection of 3.0L TTs available with 400HP/400TQ.

My only concern is how do you mount a FWD engine the "right" way, and can you bolt a manual trans up to it?

just sayin,, $4k for an almost new Coyote Motor.

tempted to buy this myself but where to hide it from the wife :thinking:

upload_2017-1-4_23-21-5.png
In plain sight. Make a stand for it and buy a slab of plexiglass and turn it into one of those "garage-chic" (or whatever) coffee tables. Tell your wife you were feeling artsy and wanted to have at least one piece of furniture in the house that is "just you". Leave it there until you're ready to use it, at which time you just tell her you got rid of it because it was "too tacky; that style was just a fad anyway".

I think my wife might go for this.

Reactions: 6 users
Why stop there. Give it a few years for some MKZ's, Contintentals, and Navigators to get wrecked, and you can have a pretty good selection of 3.0L TTs available with 400HP/400TQ.

My only concern is how do you mount a FWD engine the "right" way, and can you bolt a manual trans up to it?
Mounting FWD engines the "right" way has been done before. I've seen a Mitsubishi 4G63 and a Yamaha/Ford 3.0 from a first-gen SHO in foxes. As far as a manual trans, if the 3.0 shares it's bellhousing and crankshaft bolt patterns with the 3.7, it's no problem aside from possibly having to re-balance the flywheel. If they don't share, you'll need to get a CNC shop involved to make adapters.

The weights that I have seen for Eco motors have been for the kits. The kits include:

Do you know of the weight you saw was with accessories?

It didn't specify.

My comparison, how much does a fully dressed EFI pushrod 5.0 weigh in at? What about a dressed Coyote?

With coyote engine dropping in price, it's still an attractive idea, but at the same time, ford is getting some impressive numbers from smaller engines. The thought of stuffing a smaller, lighter engine in there and turning the boost up on the engine and belting out some serious HP does sound attractive in a light car like a Fox. What are guys getting for HP on modified ecoboost 2.3 mustangs? I've seen a few mag articles showing nearly 300HP and 400 TQ with a tune from the 2.3L. That's hard to overlook

Coyote's are still not that cheap on Ebay. cheapest I saw was $4K plus freight. but most are in the $6K range or so. Cheapest Ecoboost 3.5L was $3.5K.

But....you can't beat the Coyote V8 snarl.

Last edited:
It didn't specify.

My comparison, how much does a fully dressed EFI pushrod 5.0 weigh in at? What about a dressed Coyote?

With coyote engine dropping in price, it's still an attractive idea, but at the same time, ford is getting some impressive numbers from smaller engines. The thought of stuffing a smaller, lighter engine in there and turning the boost up on the engine and belting out some serious HP does sound attractive in a light car like a Fox. What are guys getting for HP on modified ecoboost 2.3 mustangs? I've seen a few mag articles showing nearly 300HP and 400 TQ with a tune from the 2.3L. That's hard to overlook

Coyote's are still not that cheap on Ebay. cheapest I saw was $4K plus freight. but most are in the $6K range or so. Cheapest Ecoboost 3.5L was $3.5K.

But....you can't beat the Coyote V8 snarl.
UPRs ecoboost is in the 9s now. Still a stock shortblock if I remember correctly.

In plain sight. Make a stand for it and buy a slab of plexiglass and turn it into one of those "garage-chic" (or whatever) coffee tables. Tell your wife you were feeling artsy and wanted to have at least one piece of furniture in the house that is "just you". Leave it there until you're ready to use it, at which time you just tell her you got rid of it because it was "too tacky; that style was just a fad anyway".

I think my wife might go for this.

I don't know if mine would go for it. I have a hard enough time with the shoulder mount deer hanging on the wall. An engine in the living room would probably push her over the edge..

I don't know if mine would go for it. I have a hard enough time with the shoulder mount deer hanging on the wall. An engine in the living room would probably push her over the edge..
Just search Pinterest for pictures of whatever you're trying to convince her to let you do. If it's on Pinterest, it's legit.

Reactions: 2 users