over heating on 1966 mustang

helplarry

May 6, 2020
Chinderah
Hi,
My name is Larry and I have just restored a 1966 Mustang Coup, the problem I am having is it over heats I have done so much to it I am running out of options, I would love to hear suggestions on how I can solve this major pain so fat I have done the following:
I have added a 17 inch 3 core alum radiator
New high volume water pump
160 thermostat
New motor
VS commodore thermos
8inch fan attached to the a/c condenser
This is a beautiful car in springtime yellow however I will be repainting it the original color which is green, this is the only problem left for me to attend to I have basically mechanically built this car from the ground up and its giving me a headache, so I am putting it out there for anyone's thoughts on how to fix this

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome from this side of the world.
vz commodore, thats a GM car right? Nevermind, I won't say it, :jester:
How bout a pic of the engine compartment, when does the overheating occur, steady speed, sitting still at idle?
How many cfm does that brand x fan put out?

Hi thanks for your help, the overheating is at idle and on highway. Reads about 200F Not sure if CFM it does pull a lot of air. Timing 10 - No vacuum advance, any help would help.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 108
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 93
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 98
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 95
This likely is not a head gasket problem, if they were backwards the temp would continue to rise, one thing I noticed was the alternator, does it produce enough amps for the fan?
How is the fan wired?
Is there a space, I think 1/2" (13mm) would be a minimum, between the ac condenser and the radiator?
Maybe some of the classic forum members can jump in here.

Hi thanks for your help, the overheating is at idle and on highway. Reads about 200F Not sure if CFM it does pull a lot of air. Timing 10 - No vacuum advance, any help would help.

But the vacuum advance is connected when you're not checking the timing, right?

The 160° thermostat isn't helping (should be a 180) and the little electric pusher fan is probably blocking more air than it provides. It also looks like the blade is on backward.

To have effective electric fans, they really need to be quite powerful and typically need a 130A+ alternator. My suggestion would be to ditch them altogether and use a shroud and factory-style flex fan or a thermostatic fan clutch.