Overdrive bypass switch no working

351 82GT

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2002
On my '00 V-6 mustang, the previous owner installed an aftermarket shifter handle, which meant he had to mount the o/d switch to a different spot using a toggle switch. My problem is that I just noticed that this switch he rewired does not work. It does not lockout the overdrive, nor does the indicator light on the HUD light up.

I checked and made sure the wires were connected good(they were). Is there a fuse assigned to that switch that I might be able to check? The 2 wires on the switch appear to lead down to the tranny (I would imagine). It seems like a simple setup but I'm not sure where to look next.

Any good suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Start by checking fuse F2.28 in the CJB.

Is this a toggle switch or a momentary contact switch? The PCM is expecting the override input with each startup. Therefore if it's a toggle switch that's is always on, the PCM will ignore the signal and leave traction control enabled.

Well, the problem was the connections on the switch were on the wrong terminals. It's a lighed rocker switch that had been installed. One wire was going to the POWER terminal and the other one was going to the GROUND terminal. It should have been one on POWER and the other on ACCESSORY terminal. I made the correct change and it works.

BTW, even with the rocker switch being used(toggle type) overdrive is still bypassed until I switch it OFF. I don't think a 2000 mustang V-6 has traction control. I might be wrong but I don't think so...