Overdrive for C4

• Sponsors (?)

Hi 2x2!

I like to go 70-80 mph, but the engines rpm is high (and drinks fuel..)

The C4 was rebuild by former owner (who owned the car 3 years after me selling it to him). The car is '65. Don't know what you mean by shift pattern, but if it is the markings on the lever you mean, it has one small spot and one ring symol on it (starting in 1. and 2.)

Hi 2x2!

I like to go 70-80 mph, but the engines rpm is high (and drinks fuel..)

The C4 was rebuild by former owner (who owned the car 3 years after me selling it to him). The car is '65. Don't know what you mean by shift pattern, but if it is the markings on the lever you mean, it has one small spot and one ring symol on it (starting in 1. and 2.)

Excellent! You have the "Green Dot" Cruise-O-Matic. Assuming you have the correct trans to go with it, the shift pattern is:

P
R
N

O
L

The "•" is a special position for driving in rain or snow, and eliminates first gear. The "O" is the normal driving position. "L" is for downshifting, such as into a turn.

Sure, but I would like it to go under 2000....

You could replace the 3:00 rear with a lower (numberically) ring & pinion and go to a larger diameter wheel and tire for less than the cost of an AOD or Gear Vendors setup. You would also need to change your speedo gear otherwise the speedometer will read faster than you are actually going.

You could replace the 3:00 rear with a lower (numberically) ring & pinion and go to a larger diameter wheel and tire for less than the cost of an AOD or Gear Vendors setup. You would also need to change your speedo gear otherwise the speedometer will read faster than you are actually going.

I was about to suggest the same thing. Going with a 2.79 & a 1.5" taller tire/wheel (215/70/14 to 225/70/15)would reduce the rpms at highway speeds by 300 rpms. Just the gear change alone would lower it by 200 rpms. This would be the easiest, most cost effective way to reduce the revs at highway speeds.

What is model number that I should look for ? Is an AOD direct fit?
(Yes, I know I have to shorten axle)

Here is one I found on ebay:
FORD AOD-AODE-4R70W

The AOD differs from the AODE and 4R70W in that it's mechanically controlled via a throttle valve cable. The later two are electronically controlled by the EFI ECM. The AOD will bolt up to your block, as will the other two, but I'm not sure about the fit with the transmission crossmember