DIY TKO Crossmember

AlmostCoffee

Feb 4, 2020
Canada
Hey folks, I am currently test fitting a keisler TKO in my 66 coupe. I intend to fabricate a crossmember. I have the stock c4 member I originally had hoped to modify but the new trans seems a fair bit different. I am wondering how should I go about obtaining the proper driveline angle on the new member? Level the car, measure the rear end and Jack the trans tail shaft up until it matches? It seems like it would be pretty crucial but it also seems like others are just building whatever from what I have seen on other forums so maybe I am overthinking it. I guess it should be noted I have an 8.8 I still need to test fit and weld perches on as well if it ends up a bit out. Any help would be appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I would attach the engine to trans, mount it in the car and set the engine to the appropriate angle/slope that you want. See where the trans position is then. If all is good, check your angle and set your rear end perches. Build your trans mount/cross member and enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_4620.jpeg
In case anyone else decides to tackle this… best I could do was about 4.2 degrees down with my tko as I added a 1/4 inch plate reinforcement where I cut the tunnel support out. I angled my 8.8 rear up about 4 degrees to match the driveline angle. So hopefully the headers don’t drag on the ground. If they do I’ll invest in drop mounts when I swap the 347 in (if I ever get to build it). Not my best work but I’m rushing as I’m moving across the country soon.
Make a stencil out of cardboard, get a 16 inch long 4 inch wide plate (this is 1/4”, get your hole locations and basic shape, transfer, reinforce etc. pretty straightforward and would be lots of fun if you have a hoist or pit…

Attachments

• IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4617.jpeg
    IMG_4617.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4616.jpeg
    IMG_4616.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
best I could do was about 4.2 degrees down with my tko as I added a 1/4 inch plate reinforcement where I cut the tunnel support out. I angled my 8.8 rear up about 4 degrees so hopefully the headers don’t drag on the ground.
When you describe 4.2 degree down angle for the trans, which direction are you looking from? Tail shaft looking forward or crankshaft looking rearward? Same question for the 8.8?

When you describe 4.2 degree down angle for the trans, which direction are you looking from? Tail shaft looking forward or crankshaft looking rearward? Same question for the 8.8?
I measured with my phone off a machined surface of the tail shaft. The engine/ trans tilt rearward, the dif tilts slightly upward. Normally they sit in the ~3-3.5 degree range but I was contacting the tunnel at 3.5 degrees so I am running around 4 degrees.

I measured mine with my phone too. What was the angle of the driveshaft? High in the front or high in the rear?

Here is the calculator I used to figure out my Driveline Operating Angle:

I measured mine with my phone too. What was the angle of the driveshaft? High in the front or high in the rear?

Here is the calculator I used to figure out my Driveline Operating Angle:
I don’t have a driveshaft yet but it will be high in the front. I used Tremecs app

Reactions: 1 user