? Overhead consoles questions ??..

damannhw

Aug 14, 2003
Upstate SC
I found a couple of overhead consoles in '67 and '68 junk Mustangs and was curious about rarity. Neither car appears to be a GT, and one is a coupe and the other is a fastback. I assume just special order options ? I may be able to get these. Anyone have an idea on their value ? Any help appreciated ! :)

• Sponsors (?)

i have seen really nice originals go for up ~500 bucks on ebay, i got a really good deal on a 68 coupe console that the guy was selling as a parts console because it didn't have any of the lights, switches or wiring, i paid 85 bucks for it and bought another ratty fastback console that had all the missing parts for 35 bucks, then resold it as a parts console for $60 after i got all the parts for mine. the guy that bought it was happy to pay that for it because fastback consoles are so much harder to find. i have seen the repro's priced as low as $299.00 and as high as $459.00 depending on where you look, i think it was mustangs unlimited or CJ pony parts that had it for 299 bucks. i'll be putting mine in my 69 coupe whenever i gat to the point of putting the interior on it

Has anyone tried to put on in an early model fastback? Is the slop of the roof line the same? Also, how are they attached, are the brackets specific only to cars that came equiped with consoles?

Tim

There were different upper consoles for fastbacks and coupes, I am not sure of the curvature but the length was definitely different. They were part of the deluxe interior option, unavailable with standard interior, and had nothing to do with the GT/GTA package.

the 67-68 were different legths and curvatures, and even the shortest on for the fastback is to long for a 65-66 if i remember right, i have seen some late model tahoe, etc consoles in the early cars that looked pretty good though, who knows you might be able to make on fit or modify it to fit

A late model overhead console is a good idea. I just checked E-bay and the overhead consoles from a Chevy Blazer look like a possibility also.]

Do you know anyone who has actually done it? Does anyone have any pics?

Tim

One more thing to mention, if you find a console ask the seller if he/she has the bracketry that goes with it. Without the correct brackets mounting it is a bit tougher, it is just some bent sheetmetal and can be fabricated by the end-user but it is easier if you get them with your console.

A late model overhead console is a good idea. I just checked E-bay and the overhead consoles from a Chevy Blazer look like a possibility also.]

65 fastback, i have seen some at car shows and they looked pretty good, but i don't have any pics, sorry. i do have a friend that is going to put a tahoe roof console in his 65 coupe, but i have no idea when he will be at that stage of the resto. probably going to be several months as it is his daily driver.

One more thing to mention, if you find a console ask the seller if he/she has the bracketry that goes with it. Without the correct brackets mounting it is a bit tougher, it is just some bent sheetmetal and can be fabricated by the end-user but it is easier if you get them with your console.

edbert, they are actually reproducing the brackets for the overhead consoles now. the coupe only uses the front bracket because there is already a brace at the rear of the roof that the console screws into. the rear bracket is for the fastback and they just recently started reproducing it.