Paxton Novi 2000, dead bearings? video in here....

Guys,

I have a Novi 2000 on my 96 Saleen and it's making what sounds a lot like the grinding you'd get from a dead bearing. I'm hoping it's not a bearing gone or I'll have to send the blower back to paxton.

I've taken a short video and posted it here ( http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3060312304818613143 )

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could check it out and see what you think. The high pitch whine from the gears is fine, its the rythmic grinding noise that makes me think something isnt right...

thanks

EDGE

• Sponsors (?)

the alternator was 100% before the paxton went on... it shouldnt have just died unless its sheer coincidence

thanks for the heads up though, i will check it tonight....

What I always do to pinpoint a bearing problem like on an alternator.....put tip of a screwdriver on the rear of the alternator, or where the bearing is then put ur ear on the top of the handle of the screwdriver.....you'll hear the sound magnified if that is the problem.

If you want to find out really easy, take off your accessory belt....see what that does, noise goes away, you know it's one of the accessories......Take off the blower belt, if noise goes away, you know it's the blower etc....obviously dont run it more than 10 seconds since you won't have a water pump without an accessory belt on.

Edge - that sounds exactly like the noise I was getting from my Vortech when I thought I had a bearing problem! After getting new bearings and seals the blower still made a similer sound. Now I have more miles on the car - the noise is much quieter but still noticeable.

the car has 0 miles on it. The blower was fitted these past few months and that was pretty much the 1st fire up. The car isn't even inspected yet so it can't be driven on the road anyway!

Im going to try replacing the idler pulleys first as it looks ike it's going to cost over $200 for me to send the blower back to paxton :(

I'll update this tread as i find out more....

Edge - that sounds exactly like the noise I was getting from my Vortech when I thought I had a bearing problem! After getting new bearings and seals the blower still made a similer sound. Now I have more miles on the car - the noise is much quieter but still noticeable.

Vortechs sound like that here and there, thats why they decided to make the SQ and even that will make that sound here and there. The Paxton I'm not to sure about though:shrug:

It dont sound like a ideler either imo. Sounds just like a Vortech:p

Double check that you getting enough oil pressure to make sure you dont void your warranty. Once you know you have the oil getting there I would say your going to be ok and as long as it dont heat up from lack of oil you wont void your warranty. I have yet to hear a silent cent Blower that dont rattle once in awhile.

Just wondering if you fixed this issue. Sounds a lot like an idler pulley, but you should be able to diagnose this by putting a long screwdriver on the bolt of the idler pulley and sticking the other end to your ear. This should transmit the noise so you can hear it from where it's originating.

Nice car though!

Dudes... mega sorry for not keeping this updated.... we've bught a house and right now all the time (read that as money) has been going there... either way, here is the update so far.

I replaced the idler pulley with a new ford part, seemed to turn smoother than the one i took off so i was sure that when i fired it up it would run perfectly.... yeah... well... not so much. It was EXACTLY the same as before.

I checked the oil was getting to the blower and that all looks fine. Obviously you cant pull the oil feed off when the car is running but when i removed it just after shutting the motor down the pipe was full of oil and the return seemed to be feeding oit back in to the sump ok. Oil pressure seems ok.

I put a few miles on the car but I have not yet got on the boost. I think i did about 20 miles to get it inspected and did most of that at idle because i was worried about the blower.

When you're sat at a set of lights with the windows down you can hear that faint grinding sound from the blower. Not the fast high pitched gear lash but that rythmic griiiiin griiiiind griiind that comes from inside the casing. Its very hard to explain. Once you pull away though you cant hear it at all. I have no idea what noise it'll make on boost though, could be a bad sound, could be a broken sound but as of yet im not planning on taking it there.

I've had the screwdriver-ear trick on all the parts i can get too and it sure sounds like its coming from the blower caseing, on the pulley side more that the air inlet. When te revs pick up you cant hear it, you hear it increasing in tempo but then it becomes continuos and blends in with the rest of the car's noises. When you let off the throtle, you hear the tempo of the grind slow back down until you're back where you started.

UKBullit said his quietened down after a few miles, maybe I'll try that. The guys at Paxton even said the bearings may take a few mile to break in?

I bought the blower back in December so my years warrenty is almost out.. Im going to try and put 3 hundred miles on it and assess the noise again afterwards. If its gotten quieter I guess I'll know its ok and keep it. If the noise is the same or worse I'll send it back to Paxton for them to look at it and replace any bits that need replacing.

The HUGE problem over here is that i dont even know anyone else with a novi2000.... let alone where to find them and listen to their car !!!!!!!

I'll subscribe to this thread so I can see the updates in the future,... thanks again for all your advice and tips guys, it is hugely appreciated :nice:

EDGE