PCV and Intake Manifold

Jul 24, 2017
Hello,

I have been through a lot with my grandpa's 68 Mustang and I am looking for information and hoping someone here could help.

Basic Information: 1968 Inline 6 200CI with 1100 Autolite Carb

Question #1: I have been driving without the PCV to Carb/Intake about 700miles. Is that ok? I am installing a hosethis weekend.

Question #2: I am having some vapor lock issues so I purchased a phenolic spacer on ebay. Looking at my carb set up I see the connection from the car to the intake manifold but there is some bracket or connector between the intake and the carb. What is that connector piece? Will I be ok installing my spacer with the current set up?

Thank you in advance!!

[Edited to say 1100 Autolite instead of 2100]

IMG_8622.jpg unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks good! #1...nothing should be hurt...running with pcv preferred...hook it up. #2...the spacer/linkage mount is exactly that, and allows an additional vacuum port...looks like the spacer goes between the carb and mount...as long as there is no bind in the linkage or air cleaner clearance issues, you are good to go. Additionally, trace your fuel line back and ensure it is not close to or contacting a heat source as that may contribute to your vapor lock.

Running without your PCV hooked up wont hurt anything. Its just a vent. The biggest thing would be a little oil film getting on your engine. Now your engine may run a little rough if the port that the hose plugs too is left open.
As far as your vapor lock - are your sure that its vapor lock? Its rare on theses engines but yes as Stormsedge said - check for your fuel line running close to a heat source.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Good news about the PCV, that's an easy fix and I'll get it hooked up in no time.

I am not sure it is vapor lock but from what I understand, I believe it is. It only happens on the freeway going around 70mph. It has only happened twice. The last time it was pretty hot outside too. I figure I start with the spacer since it was only $20 and I'll go from there.

My spacer came in so I wanted to see how it would fit really quick after work. The hood clearance was good, I tested with silly putty.

However, the bolts on the intake are not long enough. Can I just get any bolts from a hardware store or auto parts store to replace these? Also how do I go about removing them? I am guessing I have to take space/linkage mount off to access the bolts.

Secondly, when digging into it I did notice that the fuel filter is located a little close to the cover. See the attached photo. What could I do about this?

Again all the help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8639.jpg
    IMG_8639.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8640.jpg
    IMG_8640.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 172