Pi Cam Install Problems--Valvetrain Clatter

d98gt

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
SE Texas
Decided to finally break down and install the pi cams on the car since I had the next few days with nothing to do (luckily). I'll get straight to the point as the car is currently down and I need to get it back up ASAP!!!

I installed the pi cams with the new bolts as required though am having a problem on the passenger side now. Once we bolted it back up and put the valve cover on, when I cranked it we have some valvetrain clattering. It's clatter like a rocker were to fall off or something similar to that, though thats not the problem as I checked for that :(

The people around the car said it was coming from the passenger side though it very well could be somewhere else though hopefully I have it pinned down. I torqued the guides to 89 as I believe that is where they need to be, though still have this noise.

I didn't remove the front cover for this install though I am almost positive that we didn't slip a tooth or anything. With the car at TDC, the lobes aren't touching the rockers on #1, which I believe is how it is supposed to be, correct?

Where do I start? I'd love to get this car going soon. Would there be harm in me putting the npi cam in the passenger side with the pi cam in the driver side? I obviously wouldn't run that for a long period of time, though would like to see if maybe its the cam.

As for the noise--definitely a "clatter" and not a knock of any sort. I know this post is rambled on though I spent ~12 hours straight on this car last night and only managed 1 hour of sleep before having to help a friend with some a/c work:eek:

• Sponsors (?)

I would pull the cam cover off and double check to make sure all of the rockers are in the correct position. When I did mine last week, they kept falling off when I was trying to put the cam in. I almost missed one of them. If nothing else, it will let you know what is not the problem... did you make sure that the spacer between the cam bolt and cam gear was installed? how about the spacer between the cam and the cam gear?

The spacers are installed though is there a certain way that the spacer between the gear/cam has to face? I didn't pay too much attention to it and we, in fact, did install the cam without it at first and noticed it before tightening all the bolts on the guide. I'm not sure if its the same way on both sides or maybe it should fit one way :shrug: I have the cam exposed right now (need to remove 2-3 more bolts off the guides to begin getting it off) and will give it a check. All of the rockers LOOK to be on decent though I will recheck in just a few minutes. I had that problem on the driver side with them wanting to come off and it got frustrating haha.

I will go ahead and pull the driver side valve cover back off since I personally didn't hear it from the passenger side since I was inside of the car.

If this simple stuff fails--would removing the front cover likely show me anything that I don't already know?

That really suck, I don't think it matters which way the spacers go on. Did you put the washer between the bolt and the cam gear? When you were finished, before installing the cam covers, did you turn the engine over by hand to make sure there was no interference? Did you use an in-lb torque wrench to tighten the cam cap bolts to 95 - 103 in-lbs? I have made the mistake before of using a ft-lb torque wrench instead of a in-lb torque wrench (big mistake btw f'd up some suspension parts)...

I torqued the bolts to 89 though will tighten them to 98 or so...I just took the driver side valve cover off and all the rockers are on good so theres an easy fix down the drain haha

The driver side cam gear timing marks lined up good, though is there a reference point on the passenger side gear to make sure?

So for now I will tighten the bolts on the guides a little more after I take the passenger cam out and install it again. Surely there is something simple that I am missing.

another thing...last night (while extremely tired) we realized that if I unplugged the coil packs and bumped the engine a few times--the noise wasn't there :shrug:

Once I plugged the coil packs in and the car actually cranked--it was there. Suggestions :shrug:

damn Maddox, I hope you get that thing up and running. Did you get my wheels on the car yet?

Holla at me sometime tommorrow and let me know how its going.

Well the car will be on the trailer in the morning and brought to a different location. We fooled with it tonight and didn't get anywhere positive and finally realize that it's game over for the time being :rlaugh: Will begin tear down on Monday with the timing cover off and buying new chains/guides and having to retime the car. It has 200k miles on it so it really doesn't bother me all that much--though would have rather drove her until she quit rather than starting an install and resulting in this :rlaugh:

Basically put the cams in tonight, tightened it all up to spec and when turned over got a lovely backfire. Car lost timing so it'll all need to be re done. Mark I will try to get your tires back to you ASAP this weekend but it might be Sunday if that is alright. I have to deal with loading the car on the trailer tomorrow and bringing it to a family members garage and getting it ready for the tear down. I will install the pi cams and intake during this time so it's not too bad of a time, just some needed maint ;)

We went the method of NOT removing the front cover and the helper I had got frustrated a few times and I assume allowed some slack in the chain while holding the gear. It's time for some new timing components on the car anyways (even though there wasn't anything "wrong" before I started this) so it's not too bad of a deal. Just have to price up some new chains/guides now from Ford :(

pulling the timing cover is not hard , after tearing my engine down I would never try to install cams in one of these engines without just going ahead and pulling the front cover , its about an hour or so more work to pull it and alot safer way to make sure you get the timing right before you fire the engine up

any updates on your car?

BTW, is my car safe to drive? I dont have deep sockets so Im not sure if the lug nuts are tightend down properly. The van is killing me on gas......

Mark--I will head that way tonight with your rims. I have to get the car off the trailer to get the radials off (hell--I can't even open the door right now haha) I cleaned up the skinnies for you and didn't even mount them. Just to top this week off--my cell decided to go down on me so I will contact you from the number I was texting from the other day to find out which time is best for you.

As for updates on the car--none as of yet. Still have to drop it off at a family members house and begin the tear down. If there are bent valves--motors not staying :)