PI Intake Swap WITHOUT Aluminum Crossover

VTGT91

Jan 4, 2007
I have a 96 GT that I'm preparing to swap a PI Intake from a 2000 GT onto. I see a lot of threads and information that says to drill the aluminum crossover for the second coolant temperature sensor. Since there is no aluminum crossover, where is the optimum/easiest place to drill and tap for the second CTS. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Look for the block drain plug by the freeze plugs. It is tapped and plugged. Simply remove the plug and install the temperature sensor. Should even be the same threads. Will need to fab a harness extension.

The sensor will read slightly lower at that location but it shouldn't really hurt anything as it still will be in direct contact with the coolant.

Why not do it right the first time? The PI intake can be purchased new for $200 and you can probably get one used for around $100. Seems like a waste to install something that's destined to fail.

Why not do it right the first time? The PI intake can be purchased new for $200 and you can probably get one used for around $100. Seems like a waste to install something that's destined to fail.

i bet you can rip one out of a pick and pull junk yard for pennies...it doesnt require a lot of tools to get it off the top of the engine

i bet you can rip one out of a pick and pull junk yard for pennies...it doesnt require a lot of tools to get it off the top of the engine
Not really trying to be a buzz kill here. When I had this happen to me, I thought to search local junk yards.

What I found was that many junk yards do not sell engine pieces. The reason they don't is because they are in the business of selling whole motors. They will sell parts from un-sellable motors. However, these same yards don't keep un-sellable motors choosing instead to save space and scrap it outright.

The few smaller yards that actually do have one, they KNOW what they are worth and expect to get top $$. In my case, they actually asked for 80% of new. :eek:

Still couldn't hurt to try.

+1 on the advice above. This is a great point about using a weak component.

Discalimer. In prob more cases than many ppl realize, the plastic intake fails because the motor is run low on coolant. The design is still weak but it's service life can be extended by keeping the cooling system in good repair.

Consider looking at the Doorman aftermarket version. Used one on my 97 Cougar. Worked fine. Well built. Cheaper than OEM. Amazon actually has good prices.

I got mine from Tousley Ford. They give Modular Ford forum members a 5% over cost discount on all replacement parts. Fortunately for me Tousley is only about 15 miles from my house!

Thanks for the advice about using a PI intake with an aluminum crossover. I understand that this is a better option, however, at this time the only option I have to use the one with the composite manifold. There is a crack in my original manifold and am limited on funds in trying to get one with an aluminum crossover.

Is there anyone else that might have any information about where to locate the second temperature sensor? Please let me hear your ideas and thoughts on it. Thanks