Picking Up New 89 Roller

Bill88Stang

Founding Member
Mar 8, 2000
Palm Coast FL
After being wrangles for almost 3 years I'm picking up a 89 lx roller from one of my friends and just wanted to go over the set up and get some opinions of what I have to work with. Car has a t5 and 4.10 gears, bbk long tube headers and matching h pipe but also come with Mac Pro chamber as well in not sure which to run I have no experience with a pro chamber. Car is carbed and the tank has a sump comes with a 650 Holley dp and a 750 Holley hp series carb, msd box, timing control box and distributor. Flaming river manual rack and shaft, no ac or smog, was a 4cyl car. Victor Jr carb intake.
I have a spare short block sitting that's in good shape with a e303 cam in it and a brand new f303 sitting on the shelf, have a set of 3 bar gt40 irons fresh from machine shop off a explorer that have been milled .030 to bump up compression slightly. Have a new set of the trick flow spring upgrade kit for these heads as well I just need to install. Question is which cam and carb should I go with from what I have here. Only thing I'm missing is a set of roller rockers I just have the stock rocker arms, been debating the scorpion racing 1.6 or the 1.7 pedestal mount rockers for it. What kind of Hp potential do I have with its current parts bin I have. Please no flames I got it at a great deal and I'm just so stoked to have a fix again after 3 years searching . Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Not a big fan of either of those but I would say e cam if i had to choose. You could probably get away with 1.6 rockers. 1.7 may need shorter push rods. I would honestly check length regardless.

F cam is better than a E cam for your combo. Not 100% sure it will fit after your heads have been milled. You'll definitely have to measure for clearance and for pushrod length. Just use 1.6 rockers. The 650 will be more than enough carb also. I would expect around 275 rwhp

Out of curiosity why would you recommend the f over the e in this combo? I could see it if he was running boost or nitrous, but in an na application as mild as a gt40 build I have trouble seeing it outperform.

Because of the 4.10's,single plane intake,etc. The e cam just flattens out and doesn't have any more low end to make up for the single plane intake. He would probably make more power with the f cam. Especially in the mid to upper rpms. It would be better if there was boost and or no2. Neither cam is perfect but I like the f better. If he wants a more sedate torque setup for the street I'd recommend a different cam and intake but with those parts...a F cam is my opinion.