Pics of my current project. Going DIS

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Got a set of 8 LS2 coils and an AEM EPM cam/crank sensor. I've got the EPM wired in, and I just got the coils mounted last night. I should get the valve covers reinstalled and start wiring the coils tonight. Going to try to have it running tomorrow. :)

This will be a wasted-spark setup, so it fires two coils at once. The AEM fires them in order, 1,2,3,4, so you pair them like this:
coil 1 = 1/6
coil 2 = 3/5
coil 3 = 7/4
coil 4 = 2/8

8-5-09%20001.jpg

8-5-09%20006.jpg

8-5-09%20007.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

:) I just got the LSx coil-packs myself. Where are you finding all of your information on how to do the swap? I see a lot of guys doing it lately but I haven't found a lot of information on the aem site on how to do it.

Mike, what will this set up do for you? Why go to all the trouble? Thanks.

MY main reason for doing this is my MSD dizzy doesn't get along with the AEM...I get timing and sync errors at 4500+ rpm. Aside from fixing that, this setup should run smoother, and the timing will be more accurate. I can also remove my Crane Hi-6 box and TFI module(which I already did). :)

Paul, I found a bunch of information on the corral. Between searching there and searching the AEM forums, I think I've got this pretty much figured out. :) Here's a link to my install thread on the corral, My LS2 coil/EPM install thread - Corral Forums. I plan on posting everything I do in there and probably do a writeup when I'm finished.

You need an AEM stand alone and their EPM (engine position module) in order to do this. The AEM's are notorious for being sensitive to timing issues and by switching to this setup that is eliminated, plus you get a much better spark. This is the way to go if you run an AEM as Mike and I do.

I plan on switching to LQ9's when I get my AEM up and running..

Can't get much better spark than that..

Supposed to make the car idle much smoother and burn cleaner..

Plus, it won't blow out when you try to add 30 pounds of boost ;)

Cool Stuff Mike :nice:

I'll be watchin :popcorn:

You guys ever notice how :scratch:
It can sometimes get complicated to tune your Stang :fuss:

I mean ... ALL METHODS seem to have their ... Gotchas :bang:

AEM ... This issue you speak of here
PMS ... More expensive stuff to datalog
Tweecer ... More software/more expense

Of course ... A wide band with any of em

Heck Fire ... Even retrofitting a A9L needs extra ignition stuff

Grady

How much does the swap cost when it's all said and done?

Kurt

The EPDM is about $250 ( it replaces the distributor, basically a crank trigger)

The coils can be found on ebay for pretty cheap.. Around $100

Then all the time and patience to wire it up and make it work..

Everybody that I have read that has done it says the car runs sooo much smoother..

How much does the swap cost when it's all said and done?

Kurt

New EPM = $299
Coils w/bracket and wire harness = $150 on ebay
Wiring and misc. parts = ~$50

I'm looking at right at $500 total. I'm hoping I can sell my MSD distributor and ignition box and get close to half of that money back.

You need an AEM EMS to do this swap as well. You can usually find them on ebay or classifieds for $800-1000.