pics of the '85 vert i recently aquired

marmot

Jun 23, 2009
75,000 miles $2,500. recently replaced shocks, struts, sway bar linkage.
has the trans and rear given a good once over replacing, repairing and adjusting
whatever was needed. this week the motor gets the same treatment. my mechanic said he felt the rear was replaced with a later model, 88-89 273, whatever that is. any ideas on how difficult it is the remove and replace the
hood sticker? flowmasters soon, any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

got one.....

Attachments

• StMartin 165_1.jpg
    StMartin 165_1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 79
Not a bad deal, very sharp car.

The hood decal is something best left to the professionals. Royal PITA.

Definitely a bonus if the rear was changed to a later model, the 85's had the much weaker 7.5" rear while 86+ got the much better 8.8" the 2.73 gears are good for the highway but kill acceleration. As you visit this site more you will learn the best upgrades to do and what order to do them in.

Is it a stick or auto? That makes a HUGE difference on an 85 because the stick cars got the 4bbl carb and 210hp while the auto cars got crappy central fuel injection and 185hp...

85 is also a transitional year because not only was it the last year for the 7.5 rear, it was also the last year mustangs were carbureted. It was however the first year for the 5.0 to use hydraulic roller lifters. Also the last year for the y pipe 2-into-1-into 2 exhaust setup.

My first recommendation is, if you plan on changing the exhaust, is to convert to 86+ spec true dual exhaust. All the advice you need on how to do it and what parts to get to achieve the sound you want can be found right on these forums.

Good luck!!