Picture request, dual tone cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenStangGT

Jan 29, 2004
Recently picked up a project car. V6 with a V8 swap. Engine work is a ways off, just planning to do some cosmetics and then call it a therapy car for a bit.

Anyway, the car was originally red, repainted... red-ish. The paint is actually pretty cool, kind of red/orange with a metallic flake. However, the front and rear bumpers are both terrible and need to be replaced. The chances of finding the right paint are pretty low, so I'm considering going with black bumpers, adding black side skirts, and a black spoiler. I'm looking for photos of people who have done something similar.

Thanks!

Edited to add: I'm considering black because I have them from junkyards to good condition and cannot afford a professional paint job of $3000+.

untitled001.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't have any pictures, but I'd like to give you my opinion if you'd have it. Cars with different colored bumpers and side skirts always come out looking like pieced together wrecks. If I had to hazard a guess, your car looks like Performance Red (also known as Vibrant Red) with a metallic flake thrown in. Think red 1993 Cobra or 2000 Cobra R.

Two tone sort of worked on the Fox GT because it had a very distinct break line at the molding. SN-95's are harder to make two tone work, it has to be done thoughtfully and carefully.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep it all red. I don't think different colored bumpers and rockers would look good at all on a SN95. Go visit some of your local body shops and see if they can match the color of the respray.

The two tone really only works on a handful of vehicles IMO, sn95s really not being one of them.
If you want to help the look then buy some drop springs. Gotta get rid of that 4x4 look lol

If you paint the car the way you are describing, it will in fact look like you sprayed it with a rattle can. Nothing flows when you paint the entire bumper, and then along the bottom, and jump up to the rear wing.
That will look like ass.
Do something about that stance..how did it get that high in the rear? That will be money invested that will go the farthest in making that car look much better.

Keep it all red. I don't think different colored bumpers and rockers would look good at all on a SN95. Go visit some of your local body shops and see if they can match the color of the respray.

I did, none can. There's a national paint supply place a ways from here that I'm going to try next. That said, it won't matter, because I won't be able to swing the cost. I've looked into painting before, it's never cheap.

The two tone really only works on a handful of vehicles IMO, sn95s really not being one of them.
If you want to help the look then buy some drop springs. Gotta get rid of that 4x4 look lol

Already done. It was the first purchase I made, lol.

If you paint the car the way you are describing, it will in fact look like you sprayed it with a rattle can. Nothing flows when you paint the entire bumper, and then along the bottom, and jump up to the rear wing.
That will look like ass.
Do something about that stance..how did it get that high in the rear? That will be money invested that will go the farthest in making that car look much better.

Already done. It's currently stock height.

Only way to two-tone an SN95

FD67568F-48B4-4B13-97A9-00BE811D010B.jpeg

Anything else will just look like a car that got in an accident and the owner put a primered bumper on.

I’d keep the color, lower it, and if you want to play with paint schemes, do a black roof

84BF6F40-447C-42C9-95FF-32A2AF21EFF8.jpeg

Only way to two-tone an SN95

FD67568F-48B4-4B13-97A9-00BE811D010B.jpeg

Anything else will just look like a car that got in an accident and the owner put a primered bumper on.

Gross, definitely not going to happen. I've never seen that style of paint job look good on any car. Plus, it would require a professional paint job, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid (because I cannot afford it.)

Junkyard black bumpers and trim in solid condition are easy.

I’d keep the color, lower it, and if you want to play with paint schemes, do a black roof

84BF6F40-447C-42C9-95FF-32A2AF21EFF8.jpeg

Not bad, but ignores the point. It's not that I *want* to play with paint schemes, it's that I'm looking for something that looks good that I can also afford, which I now realize I was not clear about in the OP. I've now edited it.

Last edited:
Gross, definitely not going to happen. I've never seen that style of paint job look good on any car. Plus, it would require a professional paint job, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid (because I cannot afford it.)

Junkyard black bumpers and trim in solid condition are easy.

Not bad, but ignores the point. It's not that I *want* to play with paint schemes, it's that I'm looking for something that looks good that I can also afford, which I now realize I was not clear about in the OP. I've now edited it.

It happens every once in a while here. A new guy comes on,...posts a question, or states an intention to do something to his car.

The collective here tells the OP that that is gonna be a bad idea/look bad.

It doesn't matter though, dude goes right on ahead with the stated plan.

You do you, cause clearly you got a plan contrary to the advice you're getting. Of the people here that have replied to you, nobody has endorsed the "black bumpers red car" look you've asked about. I don't like the body style personally, but the example of the two tone car listed above makes that car look damn good.

And you think it looks gross. ( You sure you know which end of the horse is which?)

I think you're gonna put black bumpers on your car because that's what's out there available in some yard. Not a problem, if you're trying to replace bumpers that are torn, or crash damaged in some way. But it will always look like you had to replace your crash damaged bumpers with stuff out of a junkyard.
You're not the first person here that can't afford to do something the right way due to budget constraints. That brings me to the question what's so wrong with the bumpers that are on the car that they can't be fixed with the urethane repair kits that are out there? Then you can just rattle can spray paint the repair in the body color? If the car has been repainted with some other non-factory color, take off the freakin gas door and take it to an automotive paint store, and have them color match that and put it in a spray can for you.
Unless you got a big ass tear in the bumper I'd fix it, repaint that fix. And leave the black bumpers on the junkyard car.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a 96 local that is blue on bottom/black on top-follows the same principle as the purple/white car above. It looks awesome, probably the best looking SN95 I've ever seen. I'll see if I can find a pic.

What the OP is proposing doesn't sound all that great (to me), but it might work. Perhaps someone could photochop a picture of a red SN with black bumpers? I ain't smart enough to do that stuff....

I agree with the 2 tone look as most everyone has stated. The purple and white one that was posted is really the only way I've seen them done that look good. I remember seeing a red and black combo like that somewhere and it looked pretty damned good! That black roof also looks damned good! If it were me and money were no object, like it sounds is NOT the case for the OP, I'd do that!

But to answer their question of installing black bumpers and leaving the car red, I think the only way to really pull off a 2 tone paint scheme is to have a body line that breaks the colors up. So, it you go with black bumpers, I'd see about extending the black following the body line for the "C" sculpt all the way back to the rear bumper. I'd also suggest painting the "grill" area back to body color if possible so you can avoid the unfinished body kit look. Otherwise, following the scheme of the purple/white one, paint it black below that body line. Probably not exactly what you want to hear and more money than you want or can spend, but I think that that may not look all THAT bad in comparison to your proposal.

You are not seeing any pics because it does not look good.

Sorry, I'm not on board with the idea that nothing can look good unless it's been done before.

You can find plenty of pics if you search “unpainted body kit”

First, how dare you. How dare you compare our beloved Mustangs to those... things.

Second, I'm not proposing something unpainted, I'm proposing factory black. Very different.

Last, how dare you.

It happens every once in a while here. A new guy comes on,...posts a question, or states an intention to do something to his car.

The collective here tells the OP that that is gonna be a bad idea/look bad.

It doesn't matter though, dude goes right on ahead with the stated plan.

You do you, cause clearly you got a plan contrary to the advice you're getting. Of the people here that have replied to you, nobody has endorsed the "black bumpers red car" look you've asked about. I don't like the body style personally, but the example of the two tone car listed above makes that car look damn good.

And you think it looks gross.

You couldn't be more wrong. If I was set on a plan, I'd just do it. I wouldn't care about the advice of internet strangers. I came here because I'm *not* set on a plan. I'm looking for help/advice. And yes, it does look gross.

( You sure you know which end of the horse is which?)

I definitely know a horse's ass when I see one.

That brings me to the question what's so wrong with the bumpers that are on the car that they can't be fixed with the urethane repair kits that are out there? Then you can just rattle can spray paint the repair in the body color? If the car has been repainted with some other non-factory color, take off the freakin gas door and take it to an automotive paint store, and have them color match that and put it in a spray can for you.
Unless you got a big ass tear in the bumper I'd fix it, repaint that fix. And leave the black bumpers on the junkyard car.

I've done that. Two different paint stores have been unable to tell me what color it is. My last shot is a national paint supply company about 20 miles from me. If they fail as well, what's your suggestion then?

There's a 96 local that is blue on bottom/black on top-follows the same principle as the purple/white car above. It looks awesome, probably the best looking SN95 I've ever seen. I'll see if I can find a pic.

What the OP is proposing doesn't sound all that great (to me), but it might work. Perhaps someone could photochop a picture of a red SN with black bumpers? I ain't smart enough to do that stuff....

Sample.jpg

Not my photo, hope the owner doesn't mind. If he does, I'll take it down.

I dunno, I kinda like it (but I don't love it). But Photoshop isn't the same as real life, which is why I asked for photos.

You couldn't be more wrong. If I was set on a plan, I'd just do it. I wouldn't care about the advice of internet strangers. I came here because I'm *not* set on a plan. I'm looking for help/advice. And yes, it does look gross.

Your version of the term " gross" is skewed...the photoshop'd version of that red car you've posted below is the universally accepted definition of gross.

I definitely know a horse's ass when I see one.
Again...one mans' trash, is another mans' treasure. The fact that you posted that pic tells me that you're lying to yourself.

I've done that. Two different paint stores have been unable to tell me what color it is. My last shot is a national paint supply company about 20 miles from me. If they fail as well, what's your suggestion then?
I doubt that. I could take your gas door to my paint supplier, and they'd put it under their scanner and make their best guess.
I'd have a color close enough to do something that wouldn't look like your ricer body kit. For you to claim that two different paint stores have come up empty, tells me that you're going to Home Depot.

Look,...it's a no win here...show me ONE reply ( of those who've bothered to do so) that likes your posted pic. If you're here looking for "help and advice"... Quit ignoring it.

Sample.jpg

Not my photo, hope the owner doesn't mind. If he does, I'll take it down.

I dunno, I kinda like it (but I don't love it). But Photoshop isn't the same as real life, which is why I asked for photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.