Please Help I'm Having Trouble with my 1994 Mustang GT 5.0

nicrui

Nov 21, 2019
Florida
Hello,

I'm new here and saw that this was a community for people who own mustangs. I own a 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. I haven't be able to use it because every time I start the car, it'll go dead almost immediately if I'm not hitting the accelerator or it'll run fine for a few minutes, then I'll have to brake at a light or stop sign and it'll go dead, reverting back to not wanting to stay on. I've gotten a few different answers as to what might be the problem but no ones been able to tell me what it actually could be. Have any of you had this problem before and if so how did you fix it? I had the distributor replaced almost 6 months ago and the oil changed just before it stopped running. I was told it could be the mass air flow sensor, or the camshaft position sensor, or even the idle control valve. I just want to get to the bottom of it and get it running again. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

It could be anything . Thats the problem. You need keep trying your different answers because its hard to say with your description . What people told you should produce a check engine light . Do you have one???

Well to tell you to replace this or clean that would be a waste of time and money. You need to methodically diagnose efi cars because the computer controls are based on sensor imput. Ignition components need to be in good condition, plugs, wires and distributor cap. Fuel pressure within specs and checking for codes. To get this engine running right look here for diagnostic steps to take, go step by step paying attention to the highlighted notes that are specific to 94-5 stangs.
'but I don't have a surging idle' you say? The procedure will help you diagnose surging, stalling issues and save you time and money.
Jrichker and others put it together late one night in a secrete room at stangnet central, they were held hostage until they finished the checklist and only fed milk and cookies.

Last edited:
Well to tell you to replace this or clean that would be a waste of time and money. You need to methodically diagnose efi cars because the computer controls are based on sensor imput. Ignition components need to be in good condition, plugs, wires and distributor cap. Fuel pressure within specs and checking for codes. To get this engine running right look here for diagnostic steps to take, go step by step paying attention to the highlighted notes that are specific to 94-5 stangs.
'but I don't have a surging idle' you say? The procedure will help you diagnose surging, stalling issues and save you time and money.
Jrichker and others put it together late one night in a secrete room at stangnet central, they were held hostage until they finished the checklist and only fed mike and cookies.
:lol:

If it flat out stalls after you start it, and won't stay running, I'd suspect a vacuum leak. The surging idle checklist posted about will help you pinpoint the issue, but checking for broken / missing / disconnected vacuum lines is always a good idea before diving into deeper troubleshooting.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
It could be anything . Thats the problem. You need keep trying your different answers because its hard to say with your description . What people told you should produce a check engine light . Do you have one???
The check engine light has been a problem in the car for years. It'll turn on and stay on for quite some time after getting work done to it or halfway through a drive it'll turn on and off within 5 minutes.

Jrichker and others put it together late one night in a secrete room at stangnet central, they were held hostage until they finished the checklist and only fed milk and cookies.
Thank you very much for the link, I'll be sure to take a look at it and try to see if this will help fix my issue!