Please Help I'm Having Trouble with my 1994 Mustang GT 5.0

nicrui

Nov 21, 2019
Florida
Hello,

I'm new here and saw that this was a community for people who own mustangs. I own a 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. I haven't be able to use it because every time I start the car, it'll go dead almost immediately if I'm not hitting the accelerator or it'll run fine for a few minutes, then I'll have to brake at a light or stop sign and it'll go dead, reverting back to not wanting to stay on. I've gotten a few different answers as to what might be the problem but no ones been able to tell me what it actually could be. Have any of you had this problem before and if so how did you fix it? I had the distributor replaced almost 6 months ago and the oil changed just before it stopped running. I was told it could be the mass air flow sensor, or the camshaft position sensor, or even the idle control valve. I just want to get to the bottom of it and get it running again. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Sponsors(?)

Potomus Pete

Is there a trick , or does my wife just hold it
Mar 7, 2019
Sarasota Florida
It could be anything . Thats the problem. You need keep trying your different answers because its hard to say with your description . What people told you should produce a check engine light . Do you have one???

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Well to tell you to replace this or clean that would be a waste of time and money. You need to methodically diagnose efi cars because the computer controls are based on sensor imput. Ignition components need to be in good condition, plugs, wires and distributor cap. Fuel pressure within specs and checking for codes. To get this engine running right look here for diagnostic steps to take, go step by step paying attention to the highlighted notes that are specific to 94-5 stangs.
'but I don't have a surging idle' you say? The procedure will help you diagnose surging, stalling issues and save you time and money.
Jrichker and others put it together late one night in a secrete room at stangnet central, they were held hostage until they finished the checklist and only fed milk and cookies.

Last edited:

Road_Runna

10 Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
Well to tell you to replace this or clean that would be a waste of time and money. You need to methodically diagnose efi cars because the computer controls are based on sensor imput. Ignition components need to be in good condition, plugs, wires and distributor cap. Fuel pressure within specs and checking for codes. To get this engine running right look here for diagnostic steps to take, go step by step paying attention to the highlighted notes that are specific to 94-5 stangs.
'but I don't have a surging idle' you say? The procedure will help you diagnose surging, stalling issues and save you time and money.
Jrichker and others put it together late one night in a secrete room at stangnet central, they were held hostage until they finished the checklist and only fed mike and cookies.
:lol:

jozsefsz

5 Year Member
Aug 11, 2013
Cleveland OH Area
If it flat out stalls after you start it, and won't stay running, I'd suspect a vacuum leak. The surging idle checklist posted about will help you pinpoint the issue, but checking for broken / missing / disconnected vacuum lines is always a good idea before diving into deeper troubleshooting.

• Useful
Reactions: General karthief

nicrui

Nov 21, 2019
Florida
It could be anything . Thats the problem. You need keep trying your different answers because its hard to say with your description . What people told you should produce a check engine light . Do you have one???
The check engine light has been a problem in the car for years. It'll turn on and stay on for quite some time after getting work done to it or halfway through a drive it'll turn on and off within 5 minutes.

nicrui

Nov 21, 2019
Florida
Jrichker and others put it together late one night in a secrete room at stangnet central, they were held hostage until they finished the checklist and only fed milk and cookies.
Thank you very much for the link, I'll be sure to take a look at it and try to see if this will help fix my issue!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Electrical Please help. In CA, have to legally change my 5.0 ECU from 89 to 91, What must be done to make it work? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
L Progress Thread Please help Have no clue what this is can someone help 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
J I have an issue with what my door sticker says. Please help. 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
B Yes I have an airbag light, please help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
V I have window problems, please help! 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
V Pulled The Motor, Installed And Having Issues Please Help!!! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
Dirt bike kid Drivetrain Yes I Have A 94 Gt With Manual Trans It Drive Fine And :poo: Into 2 And It Don't Seem Pull No More? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
N Please Help! I Have An Oil Leak In My Rack And Pinion. 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
ptlmsmith Please Help. I Have A 95 Gt 5 Sp. Crystal White, Red Leather How Rare The Welcome Wagon 5
purplefox93 Please Help I Have Searched For An Answer Everywhere Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 17
Armstrong2188 New Here, But Have A Problem. Please Help! SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
Armstrong2188 New Here But Have A Problem. Please Help 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 6
M Ok All You Power Brake Gurus I Have A Big Problem! With My 1967 Mustang, Please Help 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 8
S Can I Have Some Help Please. 8.8 Rearend Swap/turbo Coupe Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 21
BoostJunkie94 Having problems, Please help!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
C 02' Exhaust Help? Any StangExpert will have input on this so please help! SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
A My 2002 GT is having some issues starting. Please help, I know you can. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
fordmustang2000 please help have paxton supercharger kit for 20004.6 mustang need to fit on a 02 SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
EPIK Anyone have access to Alldata? Need help PLEASE!!!! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 11
fordmustang2000 please help novi 2000 super charger for 2000 mustang gt but have a 02 engine help SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
cantbuytime got 3 check engine codes, replaced the parts and still have problems! please help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
Rasikajay my stang is having electrical problems...PLEASE HELP!! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
fiveoho brake question/problem. i have a noise. help please SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
F YES IM A NEWB BUT PLEASE HELP HAVE LOTS OF ?S 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 28
5.0Torx have a theory, need help please! (pcv) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
voodoo Starter Questions have searched but please help ! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
R i have a shifting dillema. please help me SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
MustangLX-5.0 Any of you guys have Eibach Pro Kit struts installed? Need help please 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
afast93stang Please help me verify what engine and heads I have! Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
1 1995 gt having issues please help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 26
mustangfan1990 PLEASE HELP I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM.... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
Killa Loose a;pt alot coolant, car over heat, what option do I have please help. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
stang1986GT Still having vibration issues...please help! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
9 please help i want cams, i have searched SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
fiveoho Flywheel casting number. what do i have? please help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
trav_19 installed cat back and now i have issues help please 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
9 having issues please help! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 0
C Installed steeda UD pulley now have starting issue HELP please SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
rugerbp Crane Hi-6 or Ign Problems please help anyone have these problems thanks Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
fiveoho i STILL have vibration. harmonic balancer? PLEASE help me 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 74
carbed87 having trouble with an ebayer, help please guys 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 9
0 Ok i Have Power But No Sound, Help please What Did I Miss Mustang Sound & Shine All 2
mustanglouie Got new mass air in but have a ? please help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
mob having more problems with intake please help. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 18
mustanglouie Please help with recharging AC (I have searched) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 12
O Please help....do I have a lemon??? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 12
C im having a hard time deciding on a midpipe. please help SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
xbajbusx which tranny i have please help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
kpack5982 Still having problems missing, PLEASE HELP!!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
P Cobra brakes on a GT. I have a problem-HELP Please. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 14