Please help me with my vehicle dilemma

it seems to me that a monthly payment would make it alot more difficult for you in the long run. as others have said, the 302 is a very sturdy motor and it can keep going for a really long time, so long as you don't do something stupid to it like i did. a friend of mine has a f-150 with a 302 that he has used to haul stuff its whole life (he had a landscaping business and he fishes alot so he hauls his boat to the chesapeake). it has over 250,000 miles on it and it is not dead yet.

i know how it feels to have a car that has lots of annoying little problems, because that was what mine has become. if i got rid of my car, i would have to get a new mustang convertible, since my wife is an advocate of buying new and having it under warranty. that would have meant probably close to $40,000 (including the interest from the car loan). after i realized that, it was an easy decision ... instead of putting that much into getting a new car, i would take $15,000 and put that into fixing all the problems with my car. i am about 8,000 into it so far.

but if you were going to take out a loan to pay for the new (or newer) car anyway, would an option be to take out a similar loan for the purpose of fixing all the annoying problems you have with this car?

and since it is the only car you have, instead of focusing on "go fast" stuff, you should focus at first on making it reliable and a car that you like to get in and drive. once it is reliable, then focus on making it fast.

• Sponsors (?)

it seems to me that a monthly payment would make it alot more difficult for you in the long run. as others have said, the 302 is a very sturdy motor and it can keep going for a really long time, so long as you don't do something stupid to it like i did. a friend of mine has a f-150 with a 302 that he has used to haul stuff its whole life (he had a landscaping business and he fishes alot so he hauls his boat to the chesapeake). it has over 250,000 miles on it and it is not dead yet.

i know how it feels to have a car that has lots of annoying little problems, because that was what mine has become. if i got rid of my car, i would have to get a new mustang convertible, since my wife is an advocate of buying new and having it under warranty. that would have meant probably close to $40,000 (including the interest from the car loan). after i realized that, it was an easy decision ... instead of putting that much into getting a new car, i would take $15,000 and put that into fixing all the problems with my car. i am about 8,000 into it so far.

but if you were going to take out a loan to pay for the new (or newer) car anyway, would an option be to take out a similar loan for the purpose of fixing all the annoying problems you have with this car?

and since it is the only car you have, instead of focusing on "go fast" stuff, you should focus at first on making it reliable and a car that you like to get in and drive. once it is reliable, then focus on making it fast.
Yea, I totally agree. If i was going to be getting a newer car, my parents would probably be helping me with payments because im at school full time and can't really work. As it is now, i have no free time during school because i have so much work, theres no way i could get a job also.

As the car sits right now, it is pretty reliable. Ive only had a few minor problems driveability wise such as a broken ball joint (expected), stator died (expected), and the fuel pump dying (random, i didnt expect it). Other than those things, the car runs amazing, and ive had no problems with it. The tires are pretty much new so i dont have to worry about changing them for a while...ive also got 2 spare sets of drag radials sittin behind my garage that i got with my wheels. I just rebuilt the trans, and put in a new clutch about 5k ago, so thats all good. The trac-loc was just rebuilt when i had the gears installed, so thats fine also. I change the oil every 3000 miles, or 3 months since that usually comes before 3k. I just did a tune up about 5k ago with new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, coil, sepr belt, etc. I just installed new front struts about 1200 miles ago because they were shot. I installed a new steering wheels and new front seats, and Steeda floormats, so the interior is a lot cleaner and looks like new. I mean the car is in really good shape, and ive replaced so much on it. I think after i fix the a/c, the bumper, and the fuel pump ill be set maintenence wise. Then ill add the subframes and roll bar to stiffen it up (i just want some welding projects), and add some better brakes to make it a bit safer because the brakes suck ass. If i have money, ill get some used underdrive pullies for a lil cheap boost.

fwiw: i get this everytime something breaks from my mom & fiance.

my arguement: a newer car will just replace the car itself--all the hardwork, money, parts, and help from friends will go w/ your car. that in itself, to me, makes the car worth keeping.

but yeah, these cars are 12-13 years old--stuff breakes, **** happens.

well put, Paul!

you'll always miss this car, I wouldn't sell it if I were you....it's a car that symbolizes alot about you....I think you'll regret it more than you think, even.

Keep'er goin, my friend, you'll thank us all later :nice:

I remeber when I had my truck before my Stang, I was kinda like that. something would break, and I hated it. I had to change the head gasket twice, CV shaft, entire A/C system, etc. But I guess the fact that i can actually upgrade broekn **** on the Stang is keeping me sane. There is NO aftermarket for a '90 Isuzu 4wd truck. lol