Poor Mans Upgrade In Process And Need Advice

Trip Waldrop

Jul 16, 2017
gonna be putting the gt40p heads and intake from a 99 mountaineer on a stock 5.0 and need some advice. i'm wanting to swap my rocker arms to roller rockers but the whole stud mount vs pedestal escaped my attention until now due to my own lack of experience (this is my first run at tinkering around inside of a motor) and it is crucial that i do whatever i'm gonna do asap so i need to know pros and cons of pedestal and stud mount roller rockers, recommended size if there is a difference (i'll be upgrading the valve springs to the trick flow springs designed for this mod) and any other helpful advise that anyone could offer would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

You are aware of the change in spark plug angle on p heads?
Not a big deal, it makes spark plug changes interesting unless using headers for the p heads. I have p heads and long tube headers not designed for p's and it is challenging on a couple, not impossible, just challenging. I don't know if anybody makes headers for p heads anymore.

Definitely just get pedastal mount rockers. The stud mounts start running into clearance problems with the valve covers, which just starts opening up a whole other can of worms.

Kurt