Possible crate engine issues with AOD

fox-gt

Feb 28, 2004
TN
I called ford racing yesterday and talked with a tech about the crate engine I was looking at purchasing ( http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M-6007-XE3M&N=4294908331+115&autoview=sku ) for my 93 GT. They told me I would have to have an upgraded torque converter (the stock one was to weak) and I would have to have a transmission cooler. Also the stock intake mainfold would not work because it would cause a vaccum leak. I can bearly afford the engine and labor, now I will have to put it off another month or two.

Do you agree / disagree with the tech as far as needing these? My current setup is basically stock except headers and CAI.

• Sponsors (?)

Your stock intake will work however it is definitely not the best intake for this application. Especially if unported it will not flow enough to make the advertised horsepower. But it will work. Don't know why they would say you will have a vacuum leak.

You really should get a better converter. Lots of guys are pretty hot on www.edgeracingconverters.com right now and you might want to give them a call, let them know what you plan to do and they can recommend one for you.

And a good stacked plate trans cooler is never a bad idea. Heat is the enemy of any automatic transmission so the less heat the longer the life. If you do put a converter in it you will DEFINETLY need a cooler. The added slippage from the converter will add more heat.

Some guys have no problems with the AOD and beat on them pretty regularly while other have serious issues with just a mildly modified car. Here are a couple of things do to the AOD to help it survive:

Trans cooler
Shift kit- either a Baumann, www.becontrols.com, or Transgo (note that some guys have a problems with the transgos shifting into OD under WOT even when the shifter is in D, I believe that this is caused by installing their hi-rev kit. I didn't install it in my 93 and have no issues with it shifting into OD.)
Larger overdrive servo A, A+ or A++. The OD band in the AOD is a weak link and cannot withstand WOT in OD, it will burn up and then you have a really heavy 3 speed. Ask me how I know:nono:
Also DO NOT do the 1 D 1 shuffle. If you don't know what it is I won't tell you, so you don't try it, and if you do know what it is don't do it.

Check out www.clickclickracing.com for other ideas on the AOD.

Even though the stock convertor will work, it will have a hard time idling smoothly and problems with trailer hitching at low RPMs, with the cam in that engine. A higher stall speed convertor, although not completely needed, should be used.

With the extra slip from the higher stall speed, makes a good tranny cooler is needed.

The stock intake will work, without leaks, but it will run out breath before that engine gets in it's sweet spot.

Jaswir said:
Baumann better then Transgo? also whats the difference between AOD and a AODE?

I don't know if it is necessarily better. Like I said above there have been some guys that have issues with shifting into OD under WOT even when in the D position. I do not have that issue. Mine stays in drive and the car traps at around 5800-5900 RPM and shifts HARD. If I don't heat up the DRs it will bark them pretty good on the 1-2 shift. With the street tires it would get sideways.

The computer control on the AODE is one of the big differences. There is no TV cable or linkage. It is computer controlled which means that if you want an AODE or 4RW70 in a 93 and earlier FOX you have to get a computer to go along. Baumann sells a computer control set up for both transmissions I believe. There are other differences, the AOD has a direct drive set up with the two input shafts I do not believe that the AODE has that but I could be mistaken. Also I believe that the AODE has the bigger OD band so it is less prone to failure and the shift pattern is different but not on all AODEs. If you go to Baumann's website they have a whole list of upgrades for the AOD and the differences between the AOD and the AODE.

That stacked plate cooler should work just fine.

The two converter links that you put up the only thing that I got out of them was that one was a 3000 rpm converter no other real info, i.e. lockup, nonlockup, size(in inches) etc. What are your end goals with the car? DD, weekend cruiser, once or twice a month to the track, once a week to the track? all of these play into converter selection.

RYC CUKR said:
I don't know if it is necessarily better. Like I said above there have been some guys that have issues with shifting into OD under WOT even when in the D position. I do not have that issue. Mine stays in drive and the car traps at around 5800-5900 RPM and shifts HARD. If I don't heat up the DRs it will bark them pretty good on the 1-2 shift. With the street tires it would get sideways.

The computer control on the AODE is one of the big differences. There is no TV cable or linkage. It is computer controlled which means that if you want an AODE or 4RW70 in a 93 and earlier FOX you have to get a computer to go along. Baumann sells a computer control set up for both transmissions I believe. There are other differences, the AOD has a direct drive set up with the two input shafts I do not believe that the AODE has that but I could be mistaken. Also I believe that the AODE has the bigger OD band so it is less prone to failure and the shift pattern is different but not on all AODEs. If you go to Baumann's website they have a whole list of upgrades for the AOD and the differences between the AOD and the AODE.

That stacked plate cooler should work just fine.

The two converter links that you put up the only thing that I got out of them was that one was a 3000 rpm converter no other real info, i.e. lockup, nonlockup, size(in inches) etc. What are your end goals with the car? DD, weekend cruiser, once or twice a month to the track, once a week to the track? all of these play into converter selection.

Daily Driver (about 75 to 80 miles a day in stop and go traffic), once or twice a month to the track.

From the ford racing website (M-7902-L - HIGH STALL TORQUE CONVERTERS):
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6092

# These torque converters feature furnace brazed pump and turbine. Steel spline, bearings on pump, turbine and cover
# Stall is approximately 400-600 RPM higher than stock. Results may vary depending on vehicle and modifications
# Recommended for Street/Strip applications

Application: AOD 1981-93 289/302/351 Retains lock-up, works with stock input
APPROXIMATE STALL SPEED: 2000-2200 RPM

The stall converter seems like it would work ok. Personally I would probably go a little largersy 2400-2600 but you should be ok.

There are several guys over at www.clickclickracing.com that would probably know better than I though. Go over there and look up SilverFox and see what he says. He is very knowledgable when it comes to AODs