Pot Hole = My Weekend Ruined

On my way home from work for lunch I hit the biggest pot hole ever. Fortunately it was right around the street from my house and I was able to make it home, but only to find two flats...passenger front and rear. After work I took the wheels to a tire shop in hopes of a patch, only to find out it's sidewall damage. So now I need two Goodyear F1 245/40R18s, which are gonna run me about $550 mounted.

On the optimistic side, I called the township to report what happened, and they told me they were already notified of the hole and that they had told PennDot(Pennsylvania Department of Transportation) to fix. They recommended I file a claim with PennDot and see what happens.

So on Monday I'm gonna call the township back and try to talk to that same person and have them put in writing that they reported the hole to PennDot. Should be a good foundation for filing a claim for damage.

We'll see what happens, but either way I was suppose to install my suspension tomorrow so that's out, and next weekend I'm going out to Penn State for Arts Fest, so that weekends out too.

Sorry the post is so long, I have work early tomorrow so I can't drink my frustration away.

• Sponsors (?)

that really sucks..pot holes = tire killers. i remember hitting one with my brand new yokohama's..luckily i made it home, had the warranty for the tire in my glove, and got a new front passenger tire :)..

Alright, I'm gonna make this into as good a situation as possible and since I need two new tires, I'm gonna upgrade to 275's for the rear. Here's the auction...eBay .
Just a quick question though, as far as proper tire rotation, can I take the tire off my driver rear and move it to my passenger front? So therefore the sidewall that was facing in towards the car will now be facing outward.

Thanks
Dave

does it say on your tires THIS SIDE MUST FACE OUT or something like that. If it don't you can move them how ever you want it won't matter. Might sound stupid but mine have that on them not sure what the big deal about it is though.

95strokerPSU said:
Alright, I'm gonna make this into as good a situation as possible and since I need two new tires, I'm gonna upgrade to 275's for the rear. Here's the auction...eBay .
Just a quick question though, as far as proper tire rotation, can I take the tire off my driver rear and move it to my passenger front? So therefore the sidewall that was facing in towards the car will now be facing outward.

Thanks
Dave

if you're planning on driving it that way, NO. tires have arrows if they are directional tires, it should always go that way, the reason being that the threads are cut that way, you'l have pulling and feel harsheness if they are mounted wrong.

MysteryMachine said:
does it say on your tires THIS SIDE MUST FACE OUT or something like that. If it don't you can move them how ever you want it won't matter. Might sound stupid but mine have that on them not sure what the big deal about it is though.
I believe it's because the outer walls are reinforced with steel, thus helping out when taking corners hard, specially on low profile tires, I say just have mounted the right way, you are riding on it, might become a safety issue...

At1Maverick69 said:
I believe it's because the outer walls are reinforced with steel, thus helping out when taking corners hard, specially on low profile tires, I say just have mounted the right way, you are riding on it, might become a safety issue...

Oh maybe thats why i never seen that before my car

Well I was able to get tires off of eBay today. I got two Goodyear F1 275 40 ZR18's used for $76, here's the auction. So now I'll have a little more rubber in the rear.

I still fully plan on filing a claim with PennDot, and now with my complaint, my neighbor, who holds some sort of office, is going to write note that I can include. I'm also getting an estimate from STS for two new Goodyear F1 245/40 R18 tires with mounting and balancing, and going to include that as well. I think if anyone ever gets money from PennDot for these type of things, I've got a good chance.

Dave

I don't know about tires but a couple people I know had their windshield replaced because of stone chips. PENNDOT paid for them both times.

On a side note gotta love this crappy roads here in good ol PA. Have fun with those 275"s. I just upgraded to 17" 275's in the rear, also, after two flats in the same week.

Here is how it usually works.

In order to get an reconciliation at all for your damages the very pot hole you hit must have been PREVIOUSLY reported to PENNDOT. If the pot hole was not previously reported they are not responsible because they did not show any neglegance in fixing the problem because they did not know about it.

Sharing some info. :)

Kevin R. said:
Here is how it usually works.

In order to get an reconciliation at all for your damages the very pot hole you hit must have been PREVIOUSLY reported to PENNDOT. If the pot hole was not previously reported they are not responsible because they did not show any neglegance in fixing the problem because they did not know about it.

Sharing some info. :)

Yeah the pot hole was reported June 30th for the first time and I hit it on July 8th. The lady at the township said there was a "rash" of calls about that pot hole the day I hit it. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't get money. I'm just waiting for my new tires to come in so I can get them mounted and balanced and make sure that the rims aren't bent. Even though I highly doubt that they are, I just want to make sure. Then I'll get an estimate for the tires that were blown and send it to PennDot.